threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Exterior \  Smoked Lights LEGAL???

Smoked Lights LEGAL???

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 1194
replies 9
following 7

chuck norris   +1y
I am posting this information for anyone who is thinking about "smoking", or tinting, their tail lights, headlights, corners, or anything else on the exterior of your car. Is it legal?

Simple answer - NO. Not in ANY state in the USA. Because all of the states go by FEDERAL standards on what equipment your vehicle has to have and in what order it has to be in. Different states have different laws about raising/lowering, body mods, etc. But in all 50, smoking your lights is illegal.

Will you ever face any consequences for having smoked lights? Well, that depends. In some communities, it seems like the cops are desperate or overzealous, and will write a ticket for anything they can. Generally, your trouble happens this way: you have an accident at night. Someone rear-ended you. But you have smoked tail lights. Guess what? The accident is your fault, because you altered your equipment. They hit you from the side and your corners are blacked out? Your fault. Good way to get sued.

If you buy aftermarket lighting for your vehicle, make sure it has federal DOT numbers on it. If it has passed the test, and gotten the DOT to write off on it, you're safe. Otherwise, you ride at risk.

I have clear corners with orange bulbs in them. They SHOULD be legal. Dunno, don't care. But if you do care, and want to know, now you know. I worked in aftermarket/3rd party automotive for almost 4 years. Now, if you care, you know!
emjay   +1y
I just think that smoked lights are stupid.
chuck norris   +1y

I agree and I don't agree. I think they look sweet. And if your vehicle is a trailer queen and not used on the roadways, cool beans. Do your best Cheech Marin impression and smoke the crap out of those lights (yeah, I know it's tint, just being silly.)

As far as driving around with them - I think that is a bad idea. Why would you want your lights to be less effective when they may save your life?

But I don't want anyone to think I'm just some hater, or that I'm dissing their customization. I've seen this same question 100 times on a 100 different forums. I just wanted to help out that kid (or kid-at-heart) that is about to spend $10 at Advance to pick up some spray tint but they'd like to know if they're about to make a mistake.

I'm not a mechanic, and I'll probably never be posting how-to threads, or walk-through materials. Just wanted to help in the one area I could.
jiffyzx6   +1y
I'm not a fan of the spray tint stuff... Never looks good and ends up way to dark, but I do like when the inside of the lights are blacked out with clear lenses over. Kinda gives the "smoked" look but still have full use of your lights. I'm not a fan of Crome, I like things blacked out so the idea of smoked lights is appealing to me but isn't worth someone not seeing you because of it. I live in the city so even at night your headlights aren't as necessary as they would be if you lived out in the country but having Clearly visible tail lights is important anywhere... I've almost rear ended a few people with fully blacked out tails.
un4givn85   +1y
ive gotten pulled over once for mine, and the cop said they needed to meet a certain light output for the tail light and brake light, he said mine didnt meet the requirements, and i argued and said what about older chevy trucks that have those really dim lights on the back that can hardly be seen? he couldnt argue back, he gave me a verbal warning about them saying if anything were to happen while they were tinted it would be my fault. havent had an issue since.
cherokeed   +1y
Not a fan..but if you put those old school tailight cover on it'll bring it look good...
89mazdalade   +1y
i tint tails and headlights and markers use actual paint i mix a lil in the clear gives it that high gloss finish not that night shades crap

thread post photo

im waiting till i get my aussie lights and grille and ima smoke the headlights on my silver mazda
89mazdalade   +1y
knock on wood i havent been pulled for my lights there still very visible even in the day time when the lights r on or brakes applied but if no lights they look like a black mirror i do get pulled for my 5% tint i just pay the ticket for awhile i had my full windshield tinted with 35%
idminitrucker (jason)   +1y

The one thing about that is most officers can not write you a ticket on a federal level, they have to go by the state statutes allow them to write them, In idaho the code is they have to be visable at a certian difference for tail lights and farther for brake lights, and its at night time because hand signals are legal here.
My sister in law was rear ended and she had smoked lights and the guy that hit her agured that he couldnt see the lights, the cop had her hit the brakes and they lit up and the cop said sorry they work and your still at fault for hitting a stopped car. may not be the same everywhere though
chuck norris   +1y
What you said there, IDminitrucker, is totally true, and a big part of the problem. Some cops say yea, some say nay. Most never notice and don't care. But that's why it's hard to get a yes or no answer. Nobody seems to know, and most of the available information is contradictory.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that it is technically illegal, just like cutting your catalytic converter off is illegal, though in one state it will never be a problem, and in another it'll get you a fine. But since federal law calls for it, it's illegal not to have it, whether the state cares or not.
Page 1 of 1