threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Exterior \  Traditional Body Drop Q's?

Traditional Body Drop Q's?

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 2346
replies 17
following 6

lowlyfe   +1y
So i'm getting ready to start the 2.250" Traditional body drop on our project and I have a few questions on the best way to do it. I've searched quite a bit but can't come up with solid answers.

1.) When cutting the firewall, what are the PROs and CONS of cutting along all the firewall vs. cutting along the tranny tunnel?

2.) When plating the floor to fill the gap on the sides of the Ex Cab, should the fillers be angled like the fillers by the doors or just straight?

3.) With a 2.75" BD, will the hood clear the engine with a weber carb and shortened air filter after removing the hood bracing?

I'm sure there will be more but this is just off the top of my head
Post was last edited on Mar 08, 2013 05:03. This post has been edited 2 times.
baha   +1y
1)For a traditional body drop you should only need to section the firewall, that is assuming you are lowering the body so it matches the frame. If you lay frame already, you shouldn't need to cut any more of the transmission tunnel.

2)It's personal preference but in my opinion angled makes the floor look more factory in appearance.

3)Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one, but I think it will clear since you are only doing 2.75".
91extcab   +1y
for #2:

if you just do a 90* angle at the door when you open the door you will have a 2.75" "curb" to have to make sure you lift your feet over, and i've heard that its not possible to reuse factory carpet with this curb since your stock carpet isnt made to have that excess. i have heard that if you angle the transition from the body to the now lower (after body drop) door sill section, it is possible to reuse factory carpet and give it more of a "stock" feel when you open the door.
lowlyfe   +1y
I see some guys cutting through the tunnel instead of just going straight over it, Do you guys know why that is?

About the door sills I planned on mounting them at an angle, I was wondering about the area under the ex cab window... just straight fillers or angled?
mazdaman82   +1y
On the ex cab wall a straight filler should do just fine
lowlyfe   +1y
Im still unsure what all is effected when cutting straight across the firewall in a straight line all the way across it vs. cutting length-wise through the tranny hump in a T shape. I read that the heater wont go back in by cutting straight across, but i'm not sure if there are any other drawbacks to it.

Also when you guys body dropped the bed, did you simply unbolt the head of the bed and chop it that way, or just left it connected to the bed when cutting?
lowlyfe   +1y
Bump. Come on boys I know some of you have these answers. Help a brother out
baha   +1y
I'm afraid my experience is limited to Toyotas and Rangers. If you want to cut straight across you have to look at everything that is mounted in that space. I was mainly thinking about the pedals but there is a lot of things mounted on the firewall. Of course if you plan to relocate those things it won't matter.

For the bed? There's probably a million ways you can do it. It looks cleaner to me when people take a section out and drop it that way but I'm not far enough along to show you any pics.
mymmeryloss   +1y
For traditional i cut around the top of the floor and tranny tunnel and drop it over and plate over it.

Cut right where the floor meets the firewall.
lowlyfe   +1y
Memory, what on the firewall did you have to relocate cutting that way? I'm just trying to plan what's ahead for us and having the info before hand helps me make a game plan.