threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Exterior \  stock wheel width and offset/backspace?

stock wheel width and offset/backspace?

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 4426
replies 10
following 4

xaaronx   +1y
does anybody off hand know the width and offset or backspace for the 14" wheels? or any of them really. i want to grab some diamond racing wheels but i'm a little unsure of what offset/backspace to shoot for.
xaaronx   +1y
double post, whatever.

i figured out that my wheels are 14"x5.5", but i'm still clueless as to backspace/offset they have. i'm wanting to go with 15"x7" or maybe even 8".
xaaronx   +1y
well, i went ahead and ordered just ONE cragar d window wheel in a 16x8 +12mm offset. i ordered just one because if it ends up not fitting like how i'd like, i don't want to have to pay the shipping to return ALL of them. however, if they do fit, i'll just need to order 3 more lol. i'll report back i suppose.

thanks for the input, guys. lol

thread post photo

thread post photo
jimbeater   +1y
lol thanks for being a test monkey! no seriously, i dont think near 3/4 of the mini truck guys(or basic car modifying guys) know what backspace/offset to get. would it be measured from the center of the rims? and so the rims you are getting are +12 mm. so the center of the rim (what butts up to the rear drum) sits 12mm out(towards the outside of the truck/car) from exact center?
xaaronx   +1y
haha yup. i got the one in. it fits PERFECT (imo) so i went ahead and ordered the other three. it sits ALMOST flush with the fender, just pokes a little bit. with a nice 205 tire it will sit great. might have to roll my fenders a tiny bit but should look sick. here's a picture of the wheel itself mounted (don't mind my ratty body. it's a work in progress.)

i don't think a lot of basic car guys know either, really. backspace is simply how deep your wheel will sit behind the hub mounting surface. so if you were to take a ruler or measuring tape and measure from the back of the seating area to the edge of the wheel, that is your backspace. backspace is handy to know when choosing wheels because if you're wanting, let's say, an 10" wheel and you know you can only tuck something with a 3" lip, you'll want at least a 7" backspace (3" lip + 7" backspace = 10" wheel). offset is a little more confusing and definitely hard to just figure out by measuring yourself. "The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel." that probably best explains it. this is almost always just measured in millimeters. basically, the higher the positive (+) offset number, the less lip you'll have. as you get down to zero or negative (-) you will start getting a huge lip because that sets the hub mounting surface towards the center of the wheel and beyond.

does that kind of clear it up for you? i'd be glad to explain it a little more if you'd like. i love this stuff.
jimbeater   +1y
yeah thats how i figured it was. it looks like you'll have to get a tire no wider than your rim currently since the edge of your rim is right in line with the lip of the fender. if your going low profiles, then its not an issue, i have 205/55r16 on my z71 rims, and they are the size of the rim- tread width.
xaaronx   +1y
yeah, i planned on 205/60r16 so almost the same as yours, just a little taller. not sure how wide the z71 wheels are but with an 8" wheel and 205 there should be a SLIGHT stretch, but very little. but that's kind of the old school look i'm going for anyways.
v8mazda4ever   +1y
okay for the back spacing you want a rim that if it is a 8 inch wide rim then you should have at least 5 to 51/2 inches of back spacing with the rims I have 18 by 7.5 I have 5 1/2 inches of back spacing. Now if you have drop spindles you will have to measure from the front of the hub out to the edge of the inner lip of the fender and that will be your front spacing so if it measure 2 1/2 inches up fron on a 8 inch rim then you will want at least 6 inches of back spacing to tuck your tire and rim.
xaaronx   +1y
word, yeah the 16x8 cragar 'd' windows i got have a 5 inch backspace. thanks for the food for thought. i'm not super worried about tucking though, just going for a rat rod/old school look.
pandita   +1y
Post up some pics of this setup please!
Page 1 of 1