threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Exterior \  Shaving the fuel door.

Shaving the fuel door.

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 1474
replies 13
following 9

slims   +1y
I am working on shaving my bed, including the tailgate handle, a roll pan and the fuel door.

When I welded the tailgate handle filler in place, that whole area sucked down and created a little bit of a dish. Its not really a problem there, because I can reshape it, and make it look good, but I am really concerned that the fuel door will want to do the same thing when I weld it.

I made sure to take my time, and quenched it after every tack weld, so i never got it too hot....i did the same when I ground it.

What can I do to stop the fuel filler from doing the same thing?
visual4life   +1y
what do you mean quenchedit ?
slims   +1y
Cooled it with a damp rag.
mullet   +1y
SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER use water on sheet metal. Use an air gun on your shop compressor.. or wait for it to cool. Thats why it shrunk. Tac, let cool or blow with air and let cool.. tac, let cool etc.
Mike
slims   +1y
So the only reason it shrunk is because i used water?

damn...i thought that was the best way to do it.
delawaredime   +1y

i used water on my first set if shaved handles, it came out good.
delawaredime   +1y
what did you guys use to stick the filler neck in the fender well? that is where i want to put mine.
slims   +1y
I havent yet...i want to be sure that i can shave it first.
drpdmazda   +1y
yeah dont try to cool the welds, do short small tack welds and space them out around the door, never welding too close then you wont warp it, then once you get a good bit of it welded, grind it down and body fill the little bit left

good luck
slims   +1y
The filler wont crack if i do that?