Page 1 of 2
Mazda Exterior \  Looking for some help with shaving my gas tank door

Looking for some help with shaving my gas tank door

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 1807
replies 10
following 8

thetornado   +1y
So im just going to reroute my gas tank filler neck to my bed. just wondering what kind of door you have used to do this? i currently have a lock on my door, but i just want to get a door that pulls open. i was just going to try to find one on ebay, or get one from the scrap yard. anybody do this same thing when you shaved your door?
baha   +1y
pretty much any door would work, you should make a mount for your filler neck to be inside the bed then make the door over it, or get one from a junkyard. Depending on how your stock neck mounts any door might work, I know on mine there were 3 bolt holes was all, So you could take any door and redrill it if you needed to.
dawgpimp   +1y
you can use your door ast a template, and use some sheetmetal to fill the hole. make it a little bigger, so the gap you have to weld is minimal. when i shaved my door, i just aired up the rear, and swung the neck into the fender well to fill her up. i welded a wing nut to the bolt that held the neck in place, and painted it yellow so i could see it in the dark. i did it on a extended cab and a standard cab. i hate cutting holes in my bed.
shapinoweno   +1y
what i am going to do to mine, is relocate to the bed, and the just make a squre door that sits flush with the bed floor, i am not shure how i am going to fab the lid in the bed with springs, but i will post some info when i start
impulse   +1y
Im gonna be frenching mine into the wheel tub... if i can ever get the filler out of the stock location... the screws aren't moving... im thinking im gonna be drilling them out soon
thetornado   +1y
whenever i replaced my gas tank i had to drill out my screws in the filler neck.
i think i decided im just going to use the stock fille rneck and lid. i will just shave the lock off the door and shorten the tubing up from the tank to the neck. should work. any other suggestions???
grantkustoms   +1y
Be careful if you put it in the wheel tub and you lay it out the hose might get pinched or cracked
impulse   +1y

i guess it depends what size wheels your running and where abouts you put it in the tub... i'll try and snap a pic of where mine is going to be tonite if i get a chance.
delawaredime   +1y
i want to see some pics of the filler in the wheel tub/fender.. im about to start on my truck and i want to put it in the fender..
thetornado   +1y
ill try to later today. i should have some time...