threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Lowering Static \  Rebuilt and lowered stock suspension, left with questions.

Rebuilt and lowered stock suspension, left with questions.

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 814
replies 6
following 2

rbparker   +1y
Hey guys, a few weeks the passenger side tie-rod failed throwing my B2600 violently to the right. After getting the truck into the garage the repairs became obvious. I replaced the following:
Inner & Outer tie-rods
pit-man arm
sway bar end-links & bushings
Lower/upper control arm ball joints
Upper control arm mount
Inner/Outer wheel bearings & seal
Shocks (Monroe shocks for Nissan.)

Because the previous owner had slightly lowered truck & and I was replacing the shocks, I opted for some shorter shocks. Well shorter shocks I got! maybe a bit to short...
While installing the shocks and re-indexing the torsion bars I began thinking these shocks might be to short as I applied the lower bump stop into the equation. Tooth by tooth I found I had to re-index the torsion bar 3 teeth to install the shock.
After getting the truck on the ground and looking at the bump stop, my worries came true. I'm sitting on the lower bump stop.
So besides replacing the shocks and re-re-indexing the torsion bars do I have any options besides ordering some fender flares and cutting/taking out the bump stop? Even if I took out the bump stop I would have maybe an inch and a half of suspension travel, so what is the next step if I want to keep the height I have now?
As you can see in the pictures, my rear leaf springs need attention because the truck sits like its a drag car. I've been thinking of taking out a leaf but have yet to do any research into doing such an activity, so any input on that would be appreciated.
Here are some pictures that hopefully help fill in any gaps I may have left out.
thread post photo

thread post photo
rbparker   +1y
thread post photo
daeman   +1y
Did you happen to jack up the lower control arm when you installed your shocks or did you just reindex them till the arms hung in a position that you could get the shocks in?
What Nissan are the shocks from and do you know what the compressed and extended lengths are?
rbparker   +1y
I re-indexed the torsion bar with the shock connected to the lower control arm but not connected to the body of the truck. So no, I did not use a jack to push up the lower control arm, re-indexed the bar until it fit, hooks are level. This would put a lot of stress on the shock correct? When the truck was suspended in the air and the suspension had no weight, there was about 3/4" gap between the lower control arm and bump stop.
I tried to source the shocks part number in the original post for you guys, but rock auto's website was timing out when I tried accessing my order history.
I will admit, I did JUST enough research to learn 2 things. This shock is shorter and it will fit on my truck. haha.
Ill pull up the receipts and see if I can't find it.
Thanks.
rbparker   +1y
Monroe 32206
daeman   +1y
Move your torsion bars back one or 2 notches and then jack up under your arm to fit the shock.
You may still want to cut down your bump stop or replace it with a lower profile one.

The shocks you've got are short, but should be ok. Compressed length is 8.3 inches, extended length is 12.5

For leafs, you can flip leafs, use lowering blocks, have your springs professionally reset or replace them with lowered leafs such as belltech.
rbparker   +1y
Thanks, will post results when I get to it.
Page 1 of 1