Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 879
replies 8
following 4

derajybe   +1y
Just bought aftermarket radio i can't get it to turn on help !j
post photo
Cusser   +1y
I can't tell much from your photo (actually: I can't tell anything from your photo).
But on most modern stereos you need both the yellow (always hot) wire and the red (ignition-switched hot) wire connected for them to work. Also, the ground circuit might be through the stereo case, so you may need to run a ground wire from a case screw to the truck body/chassis bare metal.

Did you check that the yellow and red wires both have power? They likely both have in-line fuses as well as the fuse in the fuse box.

You did disconnect the battery before you started all this? I hope so, and did you then re-connect to try?

I've done about a dozen stereo installs. I always solder/shrink-wrap the connections, and use the install kits from AutoZone, makes things easier.
derajybe   +1y
What happens if I didn't unplug the battery lol oops
dan woodland   +1y
Not disconnecting the battery will increase the possibility of shorting out the radio or something else 1000 fold.

In that picture I see a red and blue/white wire connected to one another. That looks wrong to me. You should always use the same color wires for the same purpose to avoid issues and confusion i.e. always use red for power and black for ground.

Your radio should have come with a wiring diagram to match up the correct colors.

Did you ground the radio properly?

Is there a yellow memory wire, did you connect that properly?
derajybe   +1y
Idk where to ground it to , and do I connect the yellow wire to the power wire as well ?
derajybe   +1y
Sorry can type a lot right now I'm at work I'll be over in a few hours to really explain what's going on
derajybe   +1y
Will I need a longer wire to ground it ? And what wire do I connect yellow with ?
dan woodland   +1y
The ground wire is BLACK and should be fastened to a metal part of the dash frame (usually).

The red power wires should be connected to a keyed power source. The yellow should be connected to a constant source of power - this keeps the unit powered to save your radio settings.

Don't you have an installation manual? It should explain the installation process in detail.
scotch   +1y
Your power wire on the truck should be Blue/White Stripe. So you'll need to connect that to the power wire on the stereo. This is powered through the "Cigar" fuse when the key is "ON" or in "ACC". So make sure that fuse is good.

The Hot "Memory" wire should be BLUE/Red stripe. So you'll want that one on whichever wires is for the memory of the radio. It's powered through the "Room" fuse - so make sure that one is good too.

Also, watch out for a Red/Black Stripe wire. This is the one that comes from the light switch that illuminates the internal lights of the factory radio. When upgrading to modern aftermarket radios, it usually isn't needed and get's left dangling loose. Then, when the lights are turned on, if it ever touch the frame or ground, it shorts out your dash and parking lights. So if you don't need it, make sure it's capped off and secure.

I just took a closer look at your picture. It looks like you are hooking the Red/Black Stripe to the power. So that is probably why it's not coming on... unless the lights are on!
Page 1 of 1