threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Lowering Static \  coilovers question.

coilovers question.

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 7081
replies 13
following 6

staticbeeez   +1y
So after a year of my $100 b2200 sitting in my garage getting road worthy, im going to start with the modifications now. i want to ditch the torsion bars and leafs and update to coilovers. ive been searching for a while and all i really cant find much. ive heard something about cavalier coilovers up front, but im not sure what that all entails. any validity to that at all?. and for the rear i have no idea where to put mounts, or what coils to use. also, realistically, how far do i have until i have to notch the rear frame? shouldnt be too much of a problem, i can figure it out, but i dont have the truck in front of my house right now so i have nothing to measure off of. and if anyone has any other suggestions, im open to anything. i know ill end up getting lazy and impatient and probably just end up going with a monoleaf and block and just losing the t-bars all together, or go about 3 notches on them. im trying to go low. not just a little drop. bags are totally out of the question by the way. im staying static.
emjay   +1y
Do not get rid of the torsion bars, it will steer like a fish out of water. The stock mounts can not handle the weight of coilovers without reinforcement.
immortal1 (linn)   +1y

This thread should give you all the info you need on coil over static.
staticbeeez   +1y
i figured i would have to brace the shock mounts. especially since mine are on a truck that was sitting in a field for 2 years before i bought it. and thats basically the direction i want to go but im trying to drop the leafs all together. im thinking at this point all i can really do is go IRS from a 240sx or something. im not trying to drift it or make any huge power but i was trying to not drive around with shady suspension. im pretty new to leafs and i really dont know for myself how safe monoleafing is for myself. i heard it was fine but ill be moving from PA to FL in the spring and this will be driving me down there. i dont want a leaf snapping and putting me into a guardrail or something on the way down. i will be keeping the overload at least until i get down there just because i will be using the bed to get half my shit down there, which is also why im waiting on the step notch as long as i can
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
Mono leaf with overload will get you by for a while. The down side is the overload is not very long which will add more stress to the single leaf in the areas between the end of the over load and the attachment eye. With no weight in the bad it is not too bad. Haul a bunch of stuff in the bed.... probably not a good idea.

Eliminating the leaf springs and adding a 4 link with coil overs to the rear is probably your best option for a quality ride with weight carrying capacity.
emjay   +1y
Blocks and air shocks will give you a decent rode, and allow you to have a good cargo capacity
tucknrimmaz   +1y
thread post photo

My current front setup with Ebay Civic springs and sleeves. All 3/16 steel bracketry. Anything is better than torsion bars and leaf springs.
emjay   +1y

More about this setup please? I'm curious about this now, and I happen to have a set of Civic springs. Also more about the rear?
tucknrimmaz   +1y
I have 16 inch wheels with 40 series tires in the front. I pulled the torsions out and jacked the wheel up until there was no fender gap. Set the spring in like the pic and welded up some 3/16 for a coil perch and shock mount. Once I put it on the ground I had to turn it up like 5 turns to get it where I wanted it height wise. Very simple compared to bags. All I had to remove was the factory bump stop and lower shock mounts. I haven't gotten to the rear yet. My plan is a wishbone 3 link with a small notch. It handles so much better now. Just with the front done. Torsion bars suck!!! lol
staticbeeez   +1y
i think i see how you have that set up, i might just order the coilover sleeves and figure it out on my own. thats basically exactly what i was looking for in the front