threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Lowering Static \  Is a c notch enough?

Is a c notch enough?

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 1466
replies 7
following 7

94droptop   +1y
Has anybody done a c notch and not been satisfied with how low they were able to go with it? It just doesn't seem like 2.25 inches extra will be enough even for a low static drop. But if I go with a 8in notch from thorbros.com will I have to cut into my bed? If so I guess I'm stuck with a c since i use my truck to haul my bike.
mymmeryloss   +1y
There are more options than just a c notch. U can z the frame or do a back half and or raise the stock bed floor
charlesskelter   +1y
I've got 3
daryncalton   +1y
I am going to build my own full size notch (somewhere between 6"-8") and just cut the bed enough for the notches to poke thru. I am going to run air shocks in the rear that way I can still roll low daily and haul when I need to. Right now I am on a 195/50R16, re-indexed torsion bars 3 notches and a 3" block in rear with a monoleaf and overload spring flipped to the top. The frame pretty much sits on the axle all the time right now. I will be running a 215/40R17 next year. Going to do either a ball joint flip up front or re-index another notch or both and probably have a 4" angled block.
kylesj6033   +1y

For some reason it wont let me PM you on here Daryn.

Notches will get you as low as you want to go tho bro. Try the Pipe notch if you dont like the smaller c notch. Its reletively easy to do. Take about a 6" pipe or larger and Cut it in half which will give you 3" of additional clearance. So technically measure the amount of frame from the ground and go from there. If your 6" in rear from the ground it would take a 12" pipe cut in half and fully boxed in to reach that amount distance. Key word being fully boxed in just like our stock frames. It would cost less to do this than just buy the bolt on kit or the weld in 8" kit like most do. But there is my two cents in this topic.

But in all seriousness a c notch if bolted on is very weak. Remember its only as strong as the shear strength on those bolts which isnt to great actually.

A weld is only as strong as its penetration tho. So dont skimp if you decide to tackle this yourself. C notches have failed in the past but if done properly are a great way to get what you want.
daryncalton   +1y
I will be building mine out of box tubing (3x4 most likely). It will be welded into place and the old section of frame will be cut out. It will lay frame before the axle and frame make contact.
coloradolowlife   +1y
With a 5 3/4" clearance c notch (it was a super notch 8") I have about 3.5" sticking up into the bed...I can still haul bicycles and dirt bikes ....hope this helps
crazykzar1   +1y
Im getting ready to cut some custom notch kits I drew up, but before I do it, I am wondering if I will have enough clearance. the design is being measured from the bottom of the frame to the top inside of the new c notch. Will 7 3/16" give me what I need to get that frame on the ground?

I dont yet have plans to run larger wheels then a 17" with a low-pro but I would like to leave myself with options to someday rock a 18"-20"

I also will be dealing with all the other objects lower then the frame as needed.
Page 1 of 1