Page 1 of 4
Mazda Lowering Static \  Pre 85 Setup

Pre 85 Setup

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2716
replies 37
following 8

trplezro   +1y
I'm lookin for as many pictures and explanations on the setups for the pre 85s. A parts list (minus air management of course) would be well appreciated too.
Anything you can think of that'll help me along when the time comes.
at dusk   +1y
hey dude.. i own a 73 mazda.. and a 74 courier and a 81 courier.. the frames are the exact same on my 73 as the 81.. so as far as parts not much is needed.. metal.. or pick yourslef up a torsion bar front end bag mount... (front) you basically cut the upper coil pocket off weld on your upper bag mount.. on the lower control arm its simple.. weld on a plate to bolt your bag to.. in the rear.. id recomend a triangular 4 link 8 inch notch, upper and lower bag plates.. figure out what set up in the rear you want to go with.. bag over axle, bag behind axle.. or bag on link bar.. wll will give you different lift.. and if you go with a bag on link bar make sure the links your puting your bags on are heavy duty....

aside from that. its a really easy truck to bag....as long as your not bpdy droppin her you should have no issues..

steve
trplezro   +1y
I was thinkin of doing a 6 link type on the rear. Not sure yet.
Got any pics of what all too cut off, brace, etc. I saw a couple in a thread but I like to see several to see how others do it.
slammed83mazda   +1y
What are you exactly wanting to see big guy..... I will try my best to answer any questions you got and provide pics as well....

I asked for a pre 85 section this would be a good example why we need one.
trplezro   +1y
Detail pics of the front really. The back is pretty easy to figure out.
slammed83mazda   +1y
This is my buddy jerids courier, same truck as ours but just a ford....

thread post photo

Here you can see the actual spring pocket

thread post photo

thread post photo

[[/IMG]

Picture of mine with the spring pocket cut off

thread post photo

After capping off the open area to prevent weakness in the frame.

thread post photo

You can see were he started the front torsion kit but never finished.

We havent finished the front of mine yet so when we do ill post pics.
trplezro   +1y
Man you are prompt!
Thanks for the pictures, they helped a lot.
at dusk   +1y
slammed83.. is that frame "Z-ed"

if you choose nto to Z your frame you will A) lay and drag control arms,, but B ) your upper bag mount instead of being 90 degrees from the frame will be more like 30 degrees on an upward angle like this..../
fattirebicycles   +1y
I am currently dealing with the no-z setup right now. It lays control arm and frame simultaneously. I pie-cut the uppers and lowers to get out of balljoint lock, and I'm raising the upper control arm mounts 1-1/2 inches to make more room for the 'bag. I don't have a problem with z'ing the frame, but whereas I'm bodydropping it, that moves the steering box pretty high in the firewall for my tastes with the z. Watch my project log in the under construction section for more info/pics. "fattirebicycles' '81 courier"
fattirebicycles   +1y
This is more than enough notch to lay frame on a 26" tire. The bottom of the notch is 1-1/2" above the top of the existing frame. The truck is laying frame in the pic.
thread post photo

The curved gusset right behind the front crossmember on the bottom of the frame must be removed in a no-z application.It slightly interferes with the tie rod. you can see what I'm talking about in slammed83's next to last pic. (above)