threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine General \  Kia FE3 DOHC - Carb.

Kia FE3 DOHC - Carb.

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7206
replies 20
following 10

pepehn   +1y
Hey everyone, im new to the site. My names christian, ive got an 86 mazda b2000 that im doing some transmission work on right now, driving it soon. Ive got a fair bit put away for my project, I want it to be in the 15s or so. just something decently quick enough to put away the hondas.

My initial plans were to do some MSD ignition, Weber carb, miata header, and maybe a few other little tweaks.

Anyway, i hear alot of talk of this kia sportage FE3. I also hear of the wiring involved, and all that other jibberish. Would this motor be compatible with the Weber carb swap? would it even be worth it to put this motor in? Just not a big fan of wiring really.

let me know. thanks alot everyone.
nytrdr24   +1y
FIRST WELCOME TO THE BSCENE!

IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH THE ENGINE....THE WIRING ISSUE COMES INTO PLAY WITH FUEL INJECTION WHICH IS MOSTLY DONE FOR TURBO SETUPS...BUT CAN BE DONE ON NONE TURBO SETUPS FOR TUNING CAPABILITIES TO OPTIMIZE HP / TORQUE / MPG FROM THE ENGINE. IF YOUR WANTING TO RUN A WEBER YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT RUNNING TWO SIDEDRAFT WEBERS INSTEAD OF THE 2-BARREL DOWNDRAFT & MAKE A CUSTOM INTAKE FOR THE SIDEDRAFT CARB. THIS SETUP WILL FLOW MORE AIR / GAS MIXTURE & PUT OUT FAIR AMOUNTS OF POWER, YET STILL BE FAIRLY SIMPLE TO INSTALL W/O ALL THE WIRING.
madlowmazda   +1y
Why carbeurate a motor that was made for fuel injection? WTF? Megasquirt standalone fuel management is the way to go- easy hook ups, easy programming. will run on almost bare essential settings.
thetornado   +1y
someone on the site was doing a swap with the kia sportage engine in their truck. hopefully they will post on here soon and give you some info, i dont remember who it was though.
great to have ya here man!!!
blue crush   +1y
Im going to do the kia swap.....i got the motor but its just sittin in my garage collecting dust....
Justin
madlowmazda   +1y
I have completed the swap- it runs and drives. It's nice to have a fuel injected dohc 150 horse 4 banger mazda f block
pepehn   +1y
i hate wiring. and i would NEVER be able to tune a standalone map. im just wondering if i would get some decent gains with this swap. what kind of numbers could i expect?

thanks again everyone.
madlowmazda   +1y
It is harder to get the motor bolted down into the chassis than it is to "Tune" a standalone map. Megasquirt has a generator which will generate a generic map for you for fuel and spark. Megasquirts website is very easy to use, and tells you how everything works. Plus you have me who already has a pre tuned kia motor in his truck- and my map is not patented by any means, so when the time comes just hit me up, the settings are transferable over the internet in file form. If you are going to do a swap like this, and you want any kind of horsepower increase, you need to be able to conquer some skills to do it, otherwise you really don't have any business messing with it at all. It's not rocket science, it's just a gas engine.
inferno94   +1y
do you have to use MS or can you just use the sportage ecu?
89b2200   +1y
I have the full KIA harness without the ECU.
I am losing interest because of change in priorities.