Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  Brakes on a 95 GMC

Brakes on a 95 GMC

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 865
replies 3
following 2

logan931   +1y
I'm going to be redoing all of my brake system tomorrow due to the front brakes pulling to the left and the E-brake not working, it also looks like something other than brake fluid has been used so I'm going to flush out the whole system. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with the rear drums, the last brake job I did was in a 79 Z28, those drums were a little less involved.

thread post photo
someotherguy   +1y
Something other than brake fluid used? What's making you think that? Because if you really suspect it, you've got more than just a flush job ahead of you. If you think anything petroleum-based was put in there, you'll need to replace every single rubber part in the system. Master cylinder for all the seals in it, possibly the Hydroboost unit, front and rear flex hoses, calipers, and wheel cylinders. I'd be a little concerned about the ABS unit too.

The pulling is almost surely a bad flex hose, very common problem once they go old. They collapse internally and restrict the fluid flow.

Richard
logan931   +1y
When I bought the truck the rubber gasket on the master cylinder was all distorted and swollen I put a new one on to get the truck home, when I checked it a few days later the new gasket was starting to mess up. I
logan931   +1y
Just my luck, I get the brakes pulled apart and find out the e-brake cable on the left side is broken and will take a week to get a new one, was sold the wrong calipers for the front and while bleeding the brakes the right side wheel cylinder bleed screw won't stop leaking. So I'm going to have to yank both drums off again, but was able to stop the leak by filling one of the bleed screws off the old wheel cylinder with JB Weld so I could get it out of the shop at work. On the bright side the brakes are working better now but I think it will stay parked till I can get the job done right.

thread post photo
Page 1 of 1