Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  85 chevy 454

85 chevy 454

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 935
replies 3
following 2

badblood   +1y
OK so here is the dill pickle a buddy of mine gave me an 84 crew cab dully with a 1985 454. it had been parked for 5 yrs said it only needed rear main cute huh. OK so i put main in new front windshield body work (it sat in a field for tough 5 yrs) and it smoked i figured it was from sitting ya know well long story short it started making noises like well i have never heard a motor sound like that i just cant explain it, buddy of mine said it could and was most likely a cam prob said the bb is notorious for eating cams is this true? so my question is on a stock 454 should i go back stock or upgrade an if i upgrade to what? i am going to use it for work pulling my rv from job to job.
i need help what is a stock cam there are so many things involved i dont know which is what an what is which can anyone help? i will post pics when wify shows me how lol.
dumped96cc   +1y
It never hurts having someone look at the motor and give you a diagnosis then go from there. As for swap options they are limitless, you can go TBI 350, Vortec 454, LS engine of your choosing, 6BT swap, Dmax. Possibilities depend on your funds and availability. So i vote start at the basis of the problem could be a small fix, could be more wont know until you dig in. Keep us posted with your findings and good luck. As for the swaps there are a few guys on here running some swaps check their build threads.
badblood   +1y
ok so i found the problem was a rod . spun the bearing. so i dug off into it found that i had 2 scored cylinder walls and 2 broke pistons as well, lol. So my buddy that gave me truck still had original engine go figure lol so we took it apart and found out it was a better block as well as bored 30 over but had 2 bad pistons. we rebuilt the 84 454 got about 4 hrs of work to do then we can do the break in on engine. WISH ME LUCK!!!
badblood   +1y

pics of my 84 im working on
Page 1 of 1