Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  fuel pump relay issue

fuel pump relay issue

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 966
replies 4
following 2

gothbox   +1y
So my fuel pump relay has been getting really hot and cutting off, the truck has started spitting and sputtering and I have to feather the gas to keep it running, if it does not just shut down all together. It will usually start right back up though.

The previous owner had told me it happened to him a few weeks before I got it from him but had not happened since. It has been running fine up until about 2 days ago.

I was going to put a new relay in soon, and see what happens and hopes thats all it is and it fixes it.

But I know the ultimate goal is to find out WHY its getting hot and cutting off. Anyone have any ideas of what is causing the relay to get really hot? I am not real sure where to even start.

its a 97 GMC with a 454 in it.
someotherguy   +1y
Several causes, usually with one leading to another, a chain-reaction breakdown if you will.

Initial problem is usually pump is drawing too much power due to pump going bad or fuel filter never being changed so pump is working overtime (and going bad.)

Pigtail inside the tank going to the pump often burns up which increases resistance on the circuit dramatically.

Relay socket pins and relay pins burn up which increases resistance on the circuit.

Once the socket is burnt you're kind of screwed. You can try replacing the relay, use the best quality one you can possibly find - AC Delco, Standard Motor Products, etc. Skip Airtex, Wells, and anything else the Vatozone guy tries to tell you "it'll be fine; they're all the same."

Spray some high quality contact cleaner into the socket pins. I like CAIG brand "DeOxit" - it's almost like magic.

Your truck being a '97 model it's 50/50 which pump design you have. It's a split year for pickups. If you have metal lines coming from the top of your sending unit you're in luck (in a way) - it's the old separate pump/sender setup. Replace the pigtail inside the tank. If you feel like doing some preventive maintenance replace the pump too; it's like $75 for an AC Delco or Delphi replacement. Again skip the shitty brands. Now...if you have plastic lines coming from the sender (and the top of the sender itself is plastic) then it's the trash can pump assembly and generally you spend around $250-$300 replacing the whole thing though I have seen kits that replace just the pump and the stupid accordion hose that goes to it.

Howzat...

Richard
gothbox   +1y
Hmm, thats a lot of info, lol

So it could and hopefully be an easy and chap fix, and what I hope. I am going to start with the cheapest first and replace the relay.
It seems to fix the problem for several weeks so far.

I wonder if it has something to do with that the fuse box is not in the orig location any more, wonder if something went wrong there and like you said it may be the socket pins.

I will look into changing the filter as well. As a just to be safe and know when it was changed by me kinda thing.

I will have to look and see what lines I have on the truck, I have no idea. And that is assuming that the tank and everything is still the stock one. It looks like it to me.

So I can pick up a relay at the Zone etc, just make sure I get a good one?
And can I get that contact cleaner there too?
someotherguy   +1y
WTF. I wrote you a book already. Step away from the computer and do work.

Richard
gothbox   +1y
Hey now, it was raining all day yesterday ha ha. Im going to gwt a relay wed when im off work and work on it some.
Page 1 of 1