Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  Starter grinding

Starter grinding

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 986
replies 6
following 3

diddy   +1y
I have a 1990 3500 w/ 454 and 350 turbo trans. Just purchased it previous owner said it was having starter problems. The starter is grinding against the fly wheel. Its gotten to the point that it wont start. Added a couple shims and nothing changed. Just bought a new fly wheel but havent installed yet.

I was told that the starter could be moving around and to buy so knurl bolts and starter brace. I'm tired of taking this thing in and out. Any other ideas?
bhb   +1y
Change the flywheel/flexplate. Cracking around the mounting bolt area is very common.
diddy   +1y
Flywheel purchased and going in tomorrow. Just trying to cover all the bases while I'm under there.
diddy   +1y
Changed the flywheel and bought a (2)new starters. STILL GRINDING...Was told to shim it and thats makes it stick or and grind. Yes I have the correct flywheel and long GM starter. It was suggested to me to find and old starteer and swap the nose. Unsure about that.

Any suggestions??
diddy   +1y
ANYBODY?? Mechanics, where you at?
domer   +1y
did you put in new bolts with the new starter? we had that problem on a new build 72 we did. ruined a flexplate. put in a new flexplate and new starter, with new bolts. worked perfect. The bolts are what keep the starter from twisting. and good luck finding the starter brace, they are to come by.. most people just throw them out..
diddy   +1y
Yes, worked perfect 3 months after new starter, bolts and flexplate was installed. Hasn't been right since. Guessing I'll get a new flexplate and mini 3hp starter reinstalled. Thanks for the help.
Page 1 of 1