threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  motor swap on a body drop?

motor swap on a body drop?

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1792
replies 11
following 3

stroker52   +1y
not sure if this is in the right place but here is my question.

i plain to body drop my truck Z the frame. i want to run a duramax, but i just want the pinch welds under the truck to lay close to the ground. not cutting them off. so will the motor fit? the truck is going to see alot of highway use. so the A/C needs to work lol i live in houston its hot!! the truck will be on 22"
comegetsome   +1y
i assume your talkin about square body style dually....theres none on here with a duramax that im aware of....the was a 90s model being built last year with a duramax in it just not sure where i found build thread
stroker52   +1y
yeah im fixing to build a square body style and just doing a little home work before i start.. i know the cummings has been done but i like the doo doo max lol i was a GM tech for 7 years plus i want to keep it GM on GM.. i do alot of driving around TX doing lawn mower racing so i plain to pull a trailer with this truck..

yes i said racing mower lol sounds a little redneck but i have well over $7500 in it.. lol
stroker52   +1y
anybody? just looking for some ideas.. i would like to use a duramax motor just not sure if it will fit with a body drop..
bagged dually   +1y
I'm in the process of swapping a Cummins 6BT in my truck with a stock floor body drop and bags. Just fitting the cummins with the body drop is going to be fun trying to get it to fit. The dirtymax is a lot bigger of a motor I would imagine being a V8. All of the electronics is going to be another hurdle. The reason most people run the Cummins swap is there really isn't any electronics.....and it builds cheap easy power. As for the AC I'm not sure where you Compressor is mounted on the duramax but you'll have to find an after market AC unit to use. To fit my compressor I'm going to have to cut a section out of my frame rail. Not sure about a duramax lift pump either. Is it in the tank or inline??
I'm not trying to talk you outa the duramax so please don't take it that way.
Just think about all of the little things that most people don't think about. Even getting gauges to work can be a huge headache. I didn't think about a lot of the little stuff until I really had the Cummins in front of me and started looking at it.
stroker52   +1y
Yeah I was thinking the same thing on the wiring of the motor. I have been thinking about putting a dash out of a 2003 or so truck in my square body and using the complete wire harness out of one to so everything will be plug and play. I would just have to change the pigtails on the running light to fit the older truck.

My idea in my head (oh lord) is to use a dash, steering column, a/c switchs, seats, center console, complete wiring number to bumper, out of say a 2003 dually.. not sure if it will work but I don't see why it wouldn't. I would delete the stuff I don't need.. plus I need to go see if the dash is to wide or short to fit in a square body..

I don't plain to body drop the truck to much just set the pinch welds on the ground or about inch from. I want to be able to take the truck anywhere have good power with good log..
bagged dually   +1y
Getting a complete wrecked truck is probably your best bet. That's exaclty what I'm doing right now actually. I just went and got an entire 1995 dodge 3500 with the Cummins and auto I wanted. It also has good seats and a lot of aftermarket stuff I want. Definetly made my life easier.
All I can tell ya if that's the route you want to go is to pace yourself. I wish I would have done one mod at a time or at least have everything ready and waiting when you tear the square down. I wish I would have done that, but I didn't. I tore my dually down and than sold off the motor, got the diesel, bought my air ride stuff yata yata yata. Now I have to reassemble this thing from the bare frame up with all of these new pieces all at one time. I wish I would have gotten the cummins at least mocked up before I tore it down to save a lot of work later with taking the cab on and off for the firewall and trans tunnel.
stroker52   +1y
yeah i been looking at a few square body thats done the doo doo max swap and good lord there a pain.. the wiring im not to worried about to me thats my fun part lol.. i know kinda weird but i like that kinda stuff.. so i think i mite to the cummings swap, just didnt want to do what others are doing.. the motor isnt any bigger then a big block but it is a little taller.. all the junk on the motor makes it look bigger, the wiring would be kinda PINA the trans is a whole different story.. there is a 4x4 on the net somewhere he had to lift the body 1 1/2 inches cuz he didnt want to cut the floor.. i got to cut the floor anyways so no big deal there but it cost of a complete pull out thats really getting me.. i got a friend that owns a auto junk yard and he said there not cheap.. getting one isnt the problem it the $$$ lol

so i will be looking at your build hard so i know what to do.. your motor is a 24v right? what trans are you going with?
bagged dually   +1y
No my motor is a 12 valve 6BT. It's the best easiest cummins to swap. It's the best of all areas in my opinion. Mine is a 1995 and 1996 is the same. Their new enough they have an inter cooler and the better injector pump so it'll support bigger power levels but its old enough it's all mechanical and only requires about 3 wires to hook up. Mine is turned completely up on the stock setting and the waste gate is basically shut off so I'm making about 34 psi of boost. The local diesel guy says I'm building about 600 ft pnds of torque and about 325 HP and it was all basically free mods.
I found a 2wd truck that was an auto which is what I wanted. My trans is a 1995 so it's a 47rh. The H meaning hydraulic so basically so electronics either.
Hope this helps.
bagged dually   +1y
I forgot to mention also that I had a thread started earlier titled "what engine swap to do" or something along those lines under the repair tech section of this forum. In that thread some posted a link of a bagged and bodies burban with a cummins and it clears the stock hood so hopefully the height isn't to much of an issue for us either.
One last thing is go check out . They have a lot of cummins 12v 6bt swaps also. I have gotten a ton of info from there.