Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  2000 454 Oil Pressure?

2000 454 Oil Pressure?

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 7927
replies 9
following 4

psychosurfer   +1y
Hey everyone, I am new to the dually scene and have a 2000 c3500 with a 454/auto and 115,000 miles. The oil pressure seems low (on the gauge). Cold idle it's around 40-45, cold idle around 20ish and aroun 30-35 at 2k rpm... Does this seem right? There are no drive issues at this time.
rushnbobo   +1y
That seems about right for that many miles, oil pressure is also be affected by viscosity/weight being used, and how many miles between last oil change.
circuitguy   +1y
Sounds normal. What kind and weight of oil are you running?
psychosurfer   +1y
Running 5w30, and changed it last night. There was no detectable pressure change before or after. I run 5w30 per factory fill, but am open to suggestions particularly due to the mileage. What are you running?
someotherguy   +1y
My bazillion mile Vortec 7.4 seems to run higher pressure than that; it's showing around 40 on hot idle (assuming your typo means you're running 20ish on hot idle? You typed cold idle twice) and bumps to 60+ when I give it any decent amount of throttle.

I'm usually running 10w40 or 15w40...mostly due to lots of hard miles on it.

Richard
circuitguy   +1y
With over 100K miles on it you should be running 20w50 in that. 5w30 is very thin, a good break in oil but not good for a motor with some wear. You can always change the pressure sensor if needed and the oil pump too not expensive to do both. You can remove the oil pan easy in your truck as there is so much room. Don’t even have to lift the engine, one of the easiest to do.
rushnbobo   +1y
20-25 psi hot at idle is a perfectly normal and safe pressure, especially with that thin oil. The danger zone "hot idle" isn't till you start seeing dips below 12-15. Try putting in some heavier wt. oil if it bothers you,......like "circuitguy" said go with something heavier on an older engine, maybe start with 10w40 and if you live in a hot climate try 20w50.
psychosurfer   +1y
Thanks again guys. I am gonna go up tp 10w40 and see how that does. Gotta make a run from Athens, GA to Atlanta tonight, then down to daytona in the a.m., so we will see how she does.
someotherguy   +1y
Hmmm, I'd have to disagree on running that 20W50!

I'm seeing excellent pressure with 10W40/15W40 on a Vortec 7.4 with more than twice the miles, even in very hot weather.

Going up too many levels in viscosity has its own set of problems; it's fine as a band-aid for a severely worn engine, and if that's the case for pyscho then I can agree with you there but unless it was seriously abused/neglected I'd find it hard to believe he needs to do that at 100K.

I'm with you on suspecting the oil pressure sensor, they do tend to crap out, and I'd replace that (or at least check with a mechanical gauge) before trusting it completely.

Richard
psychosurfer   +1y
Here is how it went: I replaced the OPS, changes to 10w40. IT ran like a CHAMP! Pressure was up slightly, but there is now the presence of the expected change more aligned with the rps. Pulled a 48' trailer from Athens to Atlanta to Daytona to Auburn and back to Athens wtih no issues rockin a 5/7 static drop with helper bags in back (firestone).

Thank you for your help!
Page 1 of 1