Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  transmission rebuild

transmission rebuild

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 3360
replies 9
following 3

redfred   +1y
i have a 91 chevy c3500 extended cab dually, it has the 7.4 gas engine with 5? speed tranny. im trying to find out what transmission it is so i can get parts to rebuild it. everyone is telling me its a nv4500, but that tranny didnt come out until 93. can anyone please help? thx
big bear   +1y
from what i read before, there was two 5 speed manual trannys available in that age bracket. 1988-2000. nv3500 and nv4500
someotherguy   +1y
Why do you have a ? after the 5? How many speeds does it have?

It's pretty easy to properly identify an NV4500. It'll be a two piece unit, in other words the bellhousing and the case are two separate parts - not integrated like some of the light duty 5 speeds. The case is cast iron, will have an aluminum top cover. It has a PTO cover on each side (similar to the 4 speed Muncie SM465) but is considerably larger than the SM465.

Here's a pic of an NV4500 out of a '96 C3500:

thread post photo

Here's one from a '94 3500HD so it has the longer tailshaft/housing and parking brake attached to it:

thread post photo

In case yours is actually a 4 speed, it'll be the Muncie SM465...note it's got those PTO covers too but is clearly a shorter transmission (length wise). The last few years of SM465 have an aluminum top cover too but that's just from probably '87-up as they were being phased out, most you see are the old ones with cast iron cover.

thread post photo

Richard
Post was last edited on Dec 27, 2011 01:12. This post has been edited 1 times.
redfred   +1y
the reason i put the ? Is that it has low, 123 and overdrive. Some consider it a 4 speed with low
redfred   +1y
it is the nv4500 thank you for the pics, now i can get parts to fix it
someotherguy   +1y
Calling it a 4 speed with low is kind of old-school thinking. That's still a 5 speed. NV4500's are best of both worlds since they have both a super low 1st and also overdrive. Gotta love it.

There are two major variations used in the GM trucks and it has to do with gearset for 1st/rev and also the input shaft bearing support.

Lots of info over at nv4500.com and spare parts too. Toughest thing to find for these I think is going to be the original carbon fiber blocking rings (syncros) and the aftermarket stuff is bronze. Won't have the same shift feel with those.

Be sure to use the correct lube, ESPECIALLY if you go back with the carbon fiber blocking rings. Castrol Syntorq LT is the stuff but you won't find it labelled that way (well, one mail order place sells it in their own jug probably pumped from a 55 gallon drum but there is no cost savings compared to what I paid at the GM dealer) - GM part # 12346190 as indicated on the sticker on the PTO cover. Takes 4 quarts and the shit is $18/quart, sometimes more, if the dealer is greedy...

Richard
big bear   +1y
damn...18 bux a quart ? lol that sucks
redfred   +1y
unfortunately i found out i have the NVG 5LM60 and i cant find parts to fix. and to replace with the newer nv4500 costs about a grand
big bear   +1y
so your screwed or screwed more lol your lucky day that sucks man
someotherguy   +1y
Not sure how you can mistake a 5LM60 for an NV4500! Also no low gear on 5LM60 so if your shifter knob has an L then either you've misidentified the transmission or someone swapped the lever/knob.

Sometimes you can find good used NV4500's for around $500 or so, complete. Be sure to get the bellhousing and the hydraulics, everything so you're not parts scrounging. You could always hope for one to show up at an LKQ or whatever since they have flat pricing on most items so there wouldn't be a premium for it being the NV4500, problem is, not a hell of a lot of trucks came with them so it could be a long wait.

If it is in fact the light duty 5 speed (5LM60, NV3500, HM290, etc.) then yeah they're pretty much crap and are lucky to stand up even behind a 4.3 V6. Super PITA to rebuild too.

Richard
Page 1 of 1