Page 1 of 2
Dually Audio/Interior \  searched but no luck, steering wheel question

searched but no luck, steering wheel question

Dually Audio/Interior Dually Tech
views 2517
replies 19
following 4

gothbox   +1y
so I have a 97 GMC 3500, I am looking for a Grant 3 hole steering wheel hub and not much luck, can anyone point me in the right direction, or know a part number?
someotherguy   +1y
The Grant hub and wheel combo doesn't really work on the 95-up column. The wheel has practically no dish, so when you bolt it up, the rim of the wheel practically rides on the turn signal lever. And, to use the 88-94 style hub, you have to trim the lip off the column shroud plastic. Then to just find out the wheel doesn't fit anyway because of the clearance to the lever...

The only company I've seen that has a hub intended for 95-up GM columns is Billet Specialties. They've got a lot of nice wheels...including some that look similar to Grant Offerings, but nicer.

Richard
gothbox   +1y
yes I did see that when I was searching,
But the wheel I am using has an extension on it already, well it was a hub for something else but was modified to work with a Grant hub, so it sticks out pretty far and not really concerned with that known issue.

thread post photo
gothbox   +1y
so the Grant hub for a 88-94 chevy will work? does it matter if its for the 1500 or 3500?
krewzlo   +1y
I believe only the billet specialties for the 95-00 will work.
gothbox   +1y
will only work, or will only fit?

I can deal with needing to trim plastic on the column, or an air bag light etc.
krewzlo   +1y
It will fit but not really work as it will be too close to the turn signal lever and probably also the shift lever. Not sure if you will be able to pull the shift lever to get it out of park. You really need an extended hub to make it work properly. You could always make one if you have access to a lathe.
gothbox   +1y
did my pic not show up of what wheel I will be using?
someotherguy   +1y
That is a Billet Specialties wheel, and it sure looks like their hub, too.

Here's a Grant billet hub - completely different.
thread post photo

Richard
gothbox   +1y
I dont think its a billet specialties wheel that I have, its a no name I think.
I dont need the grant billet hub, I need the basic 3 hole grant hub.