threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Audio/Interior \  Steering wheel swap options??

Steering wheel swap options??

Dually Audio/Interior Dually Tech
views 6296
replies 7
following 6

bagged dually   +1y
The truck in question is actually my daily driver. It's a 1995 gmc 1500 shortbed. 1995 is the first year of the newer style interior and is equipped with an air bag. My problem is that the brackets holding the air bag into the wheel itself are broken and let's the air bag just about fall out of the wheel at times.
My main question is will an older non air bag steering wheel fit on the 95?? I really don't want to spend all of the cash for a new air bag equipped wheel when I can get an older one from the junk yard a lot cheaper.
Also while on the topic will a 1988-1994 wheel fit on my '87 Dually. I really like the early GMT400 steering wheels and wouldn't mind having them on both of my trucks if they'll fit.
krewzlo   +1y
Without looking at it, I would imagine you could use the center piece out of a 1 ton that is not equipped with an airbag or the complete wheel should fit too.
calfboy   +1y
I agree with krewz, look for a 1 ton wheel it will fit. I just don't know what issues if any on being rid of the airbag. If there arent any issues an older aftermarket would work as well. Someone here should know that. As far as your second question your wheels will fit. I used my factory wheel out of my 90 1/2 ton and put it on my 77 blazer. I think you should be fine.
comegetsome   +1y
Yea they will all swap over....the billet steering wheel thats in my truck was also in my 03 Sierra back in the day....when i bought the adaptor it would work with all Chevy columns from like the early 60s up to 06....idk if the 07 newers kept the same shaft or not...its most likely gonna throw your airbag light but its prolly already on....and my old 95 model 2500 service truck was also n airbag free wheel
bagged dually   +1y
I didn't know chevy had any trucks 1995+ that were equipped with air bags. I learned something new today lol.
Thanks for all of the input guys.
someotherguy   +1y
I know I'm responding a little late but here goes.

The "dish" of the wheel for the airbag wheels is much deeper than the older wheels. If you do a simple swap with an 94-older OEM wheel or a custom wheel that has an adapter intended for a 94-older truck, you'll find the rim of the wheel is too close to the turn signal lever and you'll accidentally whack it while turning. Much worse if you go with a custom wheel that has a smaller diameter like the typical 14" stuff out there vs. the 16" OEM wheel. I did this with a Grant 14" wheel with 94-older billet adapter on a '96, bolted up but due to the clearance did not work worth a damn, took it off.

Billet Specialties has an adapter for their custom wheels that will work on the airbag column, the adapter takes up the necessary amount of room for the wheel to be properly spaced away from the turn signal. They refer to it as their "non-airbag" 95-up (or maybe 96-up) adapter, meaning, for legal reasons they only intend for you to run it on a newer model that came without an airbag like a 2500 or 3500 model. But it will work on your 1500, of course.

By the way speaking of the non-airbag OEM wheel for 95-up, here's one that I scored brand new from the dealer. Horn button is old but the wheel is new. The design of the wheel used in 2500's and 3500's is made to look like an airbag wheel but there's no airbag in there. Has fooled a few people.
thread post photo

Off the truck, old and new:
thread post photo

Richard
Kaykay   +1y
I have a 95 4x4 2500 and my steering column needs to be replace cause my switch broke. Then my husband not really knowing what he was doing started drilling the switch out. Well then he decides to take my whole steering columnout and once again not knowing what he was doing just started cutting wires.anyways I have a 94 2500 also could I take the whole steering column out of it and put it in my 95 and it work?
Page 1 of 1