Page 3 of 4
Dually Suspension \  pinion angle 2 piece driveshaft

pinion angle 2 piece driveshaft

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 33252
replies 35
following 9

pro53   +1y
When I pulled the bed off, I noticed the u joint wasnt sitting all the way down in the cup, damn u joint was loose. Put new straps and bolts on it. Took it for a spin, got a slight vibe still. What is the best way to measure it all? Do I need to drop the drive shft from trans then measure? Put the gauge on bottom of front drive shaft 3.5 up, move to carrier bearing area 3.5 up, with the bag all the way aired up 3.5 down. With it layed out low where normally I drive its 10 down. If I shim the carrier bearing might get this back to 3.5 down?
post photo
post photo
post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
The rear shaft angle doesn't matter as long as your not binding the joints. get the shaft from the trans to carrier within 1-1.5deg of straight with the trans. Then match the angle of the jackshaft yoke to the axle yoke. It's easiest to measure with the shafts out then measure off the face of the yokes. aka; Figure 10 Do it at ride height and don't worry about the rest.
pro53   +1y
When I get home, will pop driveshafts loose, measeure the yoke of trans. Then make the carrier brearing degree within 1 to 1.5 degree. Then match rearend yoke to negative that? At ride height.
john-e bravada   +1y
Yes make them parallel. On your angle finder, as you spin it one will be right of 0 one left.
pro53   +1y
So here is what I have. Yoke from trans. 5.5 deg. up
carrier bearing 6 down (I think) driveshaft slopes down to carrier bearing
rearend yoke 6 deg. down

Should I add a shim under carrier bearing to bring it into 4 deg. postive?
All help has been appriciated yall
john-e bravada   +1y
I'm reading your trans 5.5 up meaning your engine and trans are higher in the rear then the front which seems weird but that would make it parallel to your diff yoke according to the pics. If your trans yoke points down then your diff should point up which it doesn't in the pics... Can you get pics of the angle finder on all three yokes; trans yoke, jackshaft yoke, and diff yoke? Just to make sure we have the ups and downs right.
pro53   +1y
will double check again, will be tomorrow before i post back, Thanks
pro53   +1y
John, Heres what I got;
A trans thats pointing down negative 6 deg.
The trans yoke is at negative 4 deg. in line with the trans yoke.
The rearens is pointing down also at 10 deg.
The issue is the rearend?
Doesnt it need to be a postive 6 deg?
krewzlo   +1y
Rear end needs to be pointing up. The back side of the short shaft is 4 down then put the axle at 3 or 5 up and you should be golden. Its going to change some throughout suspension travel but should be close enough. If your still getting vibrations then something else is causing it. Bad carrier bearing? Bad joints? Pinion bearing? Axle bearings? Balanced tires? Could be a few of those adding up to a bigger vibration. A degree or two off isnt going to cause much if any vibration. Heck, on my 4wd duramax I had a ujoint seize up and only vibrated when I hit bumps, can't believe it didnt break stuff but whem I removed the driveshaft, I couldnt move the ujoint at all, evem beating on it with a hammer.
pro53   +1y
Yea thays what I was thinking, need to twist the rearend up.