Page 1 of 4
Dually Suspension \  1998 3500 4dr dually slam

1998 3500 4dr dually slam

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 6592
replies 38
following 10

fuelrags   +1y
Okay guys, I am a cheap bastard and tryin' to lower my dually-5/7 on a budget(since regular fuel is $3.40 a gallon here!)...I'm thinking of buying the 3" drop spindles, cutting my stock front coils(how much? to get 2 inches out of them). Now the rear, I'm thinking of using the 7" rear flip kit without the notch kit(to keep towing my bitchin' 65 chevelle and maintain my towing and load capacity)adding bump stops to the frame and utilizing my gabriel air shocks that came with the truck to hopefully reduce the rear from bottoming out....Is this do-able? or am I insane? HELP!!!.....keep in mind,I don't really care about ride quality...the truck ride now is unbearable stock height!
dragnasty   +1y
Notching it wont affect your towing capacity if done properly. I wouldnt recomend it but if your dead set on not buying drop coils I would rather heat the lowest coil and let the front drop to where you want it rather than cutting them. Ghetto but will work.
jcampbell1180   +1y
I agree with Drag.

Everyone starts flipping out when you talk about heating coils. I've done it both ways and personally never had a prolblem with either (other than they ride like hell).

The cool thing about heating coils, is you don't have to pull them out of your truck. I put one of my trucks up on my buddys lift in his shop and we heated the spring till it sat just where I wanted it to. I was cool cause I could see exactly how low it was and I knew exactly when to stop.

However, that was back in my high school days when bags were in their infancy and all I gave a crap about was being the lowest at school. Ride quality be damned!!! Now I'm a bit older, and presumably wiser. I think I would just spend the buck twenty on some 2"-3" springs.

Thats just my opinon, and you know what they say about those...
maz89   +1y
try, going to E-Gay, you might find some drop coils for cheap since bags are becoming more and more norm....
jcampbell1180   +1y

werd.
lowboy   +1y
THE THING WITH HEATED COILS IS THAT IT MAKES THE STEEL IN THE SPRING BRITTLE AND MESS'S WITH SPRING RATE. NOW TO BE HONEST I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANY TRAGIC EVENTS CAUSED MY HEATED COILS, BUT IF YOU'RE GONNA PUT SPINDLES ON IT, TAKING THE COIL OUT TO CUT IT ISNT THAT BIG OF DEAL. MOST OF THE HALF TON'S I'VE DONE, HALF A COIL GOT ME ABOUT 2 INCHES WITH SOME VARIANCES TO GET BOTH SIDES LEVEL. AS FOR THE REAR, DEFINALTY C-NOTCH IT. YOU'LL GET REALLY ANNOYED WITH THE AXLE SLAPPING THE FRAME CAUSE YOU DIDNT.
jcampbell1180   +1y
Yeah, you kinda asked a loaded question. Round here we're a bunch of opinonated MoFo's. You'll probably get about thirteen different answers.

Cut 'em, heat 'em, rip 'em out and ride on the bumpstops, it's all gonna ride like a brick so it doesn't really matter.
fuelrags   +1y
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT AND TOOOO FUNNY!!! THANX FOR THE HELP!!!!
pig rig   +1y

if rides not an issue just weld it were you want it
maz89   +1y
fuck it, just let the air outta the tires....