Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  nv4500 question

nv4500 question

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1114
replies 7
following 3

bigbeardedbastard   +1y
will a nv4500 out of a 95 bolt up to a cummins from a 93? i think ive decided to ditch the allison trans and the built 4L80 i have because i dont want to spend a grand just to control the trans. as usual any help or insight is welcomed
john-e bravada   +1y
What motor did the 95' nv4500 have infront of it? The B series Cummins should all have the same flywheel housing pattern. I do know the 8.3l's aren't the same as the 5.9l's. Beware of the nv4500 behind a Cummins. You'll read horror stories about the strength of the 45 and 5600's. I don't know if they are all true but that's why I went with an Eaton FSO trans, piece of mind.
nandrus   +1y
Yeah a 95 dodge nv4500 will bolt up to a 93 engine. You have to get the second gen adapter plate and a starter. I have a dodge nv4500 behind my first gen swap.
bigbeardedbastard   +1y
john-3 the trans is coming out of a 95 dodge with the 5.9l cummins...i am not planning on doing alot of mods to the motor, wanted it for reliability and towing my brothers race truck. not looking to make it super fast.

i am half retarded today lol working double shifts for the past month is starting to take is toll on me
nandrus   +1y
The nv4500 is a good trans, the only issue with it is the 5th gear nut. The nv4500 can handle some big power if the input shaft is upgraded. All of the auto cummins guys want the nv4500 because it handles big power and its reliable. You can also buy an adapter plate that allows you to use the stock 1st gen adapter plate but in my opinion it is cheaper and easier to just buy a second gen adapter off of ebay.
bigbeardedbastard   +1y
5th gear nut? as in it has a tendency to pop out of gear from time to time?
nandrus   +1y
It is the nut that holds 5th gear on the main shaft. It has a tendency to work its way loose and 5th gear will back off the shaft and you wont have 5th gear. They make a nut that has set screws that help lock it in place. Here is a link for it
john-e bravada   +1y
Isn't there a bearing which is known to lock up and spin in the case thus ruining the case or is that the NV5600?

Either way be aware of it's issues. Even with stock motors there are issues.
Page 1 of 1