Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  4:10 TO 3:54 Gear swap

4:10 TO 3:54 Gear swap

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 2464
replies 4
following 3

muskratt2   +1y
Has any of you'll swapped from 4:10 gears to a 3:54 gear?
What's it like? Will it still tow good? Will it get better gas mileage?
I'm still trying to figure out what to do to my truck?
I just want to be able to drive it more & get better gas mileage. If I tow withb it once a year I'm lucky now that I sold the race car.
What's your opinion's
From what I've seen on the various charts a 3:73 gear isn't much difference than a 4:10.
someotherguy   +1y
These trucks are geared like they are so they can get the weight moving plus keep it moving at highway speeds without lugging the engine. Since you're a non-overdrive transmission with that C6 then it's not quite as important at highway speed as you wouldn't be lugging anyway even with something in the low 3's. You want to use the calculators for RPM and see what you'd be running at 60-70 mph with whatever size tire you have, with obviously a 1:1 top gear in the trans. I'd try to keep it above 2K RPM at highway speed. When you start dropping down very low in cruise RPM's then you're not gaining MPG, you're making the engine and trans work too hard to keep the truck moving.

Richard
randallaguirre   +1y
Happy Holidays.
Here's my 2 cents.
It all comes down to how you drive your truck. If it's mostly stop and go, stop and go... Stick with the 4:10s.
If you're mostly cruising at highways speeds you need to do 2 things.
A) get a vacuum gauge and find out where your vacuum curve peak is at
B) then try and guestimate the average speed you'll be driving most of the time and then match your vacuum peak with where your driving RPM will be. There are calculators all over the web that will help you determine where your engine will be revving at what speed with variables like tranny ratio, tire size, and rear end gear.

Old school technique that truly works.
muskratt2   +1y
Usually, I drive around 60 or so with where I live. I hardly ever drive it on the interstate.
I'll calculate everything tonight & post it tomorrow.
Bottom line, I just can't afford to go with the overdrive swap right now.
muskratt2   +1y
Here's what I found.
With 3:54 gears it would cruise at 64 mph at 2500 rpm's.
With 3:73 gears it would cruise at 61 mph at 2500 rpm's.
I don't drive it on the interstate because I just can't afford to & I have more economical cars to drive for that. With that being said where I drive it at is on highways where tha speed limit it 55.
I don't really tow with it anymore (even though I do still have my enclosed car trailer) because I sold my race car. If I tow with it it would be TOPS once a year. I've looked into swapping in an Overdrive but right now I just don't have the money. Right now a gear swap is the most economical thing to do because I can do it myself.
What do you'll think?
Page 1 of 1