threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  Need new muffler what do you suggest?

Need new muffler what do you suggest?

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1984
replies 10
following 7

krewzlo   +1y
It is getting time to replace my stock muffler. I want something that doesn't need a bunch of work to install as i hate doin exhaust work. Nothing too loud but better performance would be a plus. I dont have cats on it and i tow heavy trailers all the time too.

What do you suggest?
tuckin22   +1y
You didnt say what motor but I think I remember you saying a while back 454.

I have a flowmaster 50 hd series I think and "no cats" and it sounds alright its not to terribly loud and has a kind of low rumble to it.
luv2xclr8   +1y
I installed exhaust for a few years
part time and I prefer Magnaflow's
vs. Flowmaster's. (Less cabin hum)
big bear   +1y
yup, im a magnaflow guy.
got6wls   +1y
On my 454 I have WickedFlo's, they sound really HotRodesque at idle and just puttin around, when you put your foot into it, it opens up BWAAAA. To me this is the sound a BBC should have. I have had Magna and FM but these made me change. Also FloPro are a good choice. Again its your truck, you'll find your sound. Good luck
krewzlo   +1y
Thanks guys, I have tried looking on flowmaster and magna flow and they don't list one that will fit. Mine is dual 2 3/4 in and single 3" out. I can't do duals out as I just don't have room for another pipe above the axle.

I really like the (lack of) sound of the stock muffler. I do appreciate a good sounding loud exhaust but just isn't my cup of tea. I don't like to hear it inside the cab. I drive long distances and that is the last thing I want to hear the whole time is a rumble that makes my teeth rattle.

Yes my truck is a 2000 with a 454. Originally had duals all the way back to the the muffler then exited with 1 3". Had dual cats as well until one of them went bad.
big bear   +1y
yea, thats not an easy size to match up man. i run dual magnaflows on my v8 noma, yes i know thats smaller than a 454 lol ...., but its got a real distinct tone, like you know something is there but not sure to what degree. haha .anyway, my point is that yea when i mash on the gas she comes alive and it sounds mean, but not annoying. since i havent swapped gearing in my rearend yet, i run at a high rpm and it still not overboard. very mellow. but as i stated, i understand you have a 454 and its alot more motor. i am going to run same duals on my dually when i get it one day. jus purely opinion.
big bear   +1y
and my setup consists of, stock manifolds which i run pipes off to the rear into two magnaflow mufflers. one on each side. no cats.
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
i have dynomax mufflers and magnaflow cats.(all 3 inch pipe). its not loud at all. sounds quiet at idle, but still has a little rumble when you get on it..

my mufflers look like flowmasters on the outside, but the insides are different. they have a 3 inch pipe going all the way through the muffler (with 100's of tiny holes drilled in it). the rest of the muffler body is packed with fiberglass..they are pretty much giant glasspacks..lol
bigcat   +1y
Magnaflow will give you the sound you are looking for. I just put them on mine. any exhaust shop should be able to get that on for you.