Page 1 of 3
Dually Engine \  better gas milage questions

better gas milage questions

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 4978
replies 29
following 19

flattie   +1y
Ok I just picked up a 2000 classic crew cab dually that I love but gas prices are going to kill me this summer with this 454 in it. Anyone done anything to there dually to improve gas milage?
big bear   +1y
well... you have a few options to save gas mileage. park it and dont drive it lol , drive it in moderation, motor swap, or suck it up and just deal with it. theres the ever so famous myths of upgrading the exhaust and air filters, power programmers ect... but everyone for the most part that ive heard results from say they shoulda saved there money. im not saying those items wont work , help and what not, just havent heard any staggering results for the 454.
pig rig   +1y
put a cold air intake on open up the gap on your plugs a little make sure all your sensors are working good put an electric fan on it
flattie   +1y
I like the electric fan idea. The truck already has a cold air intake on it. Will headers help?
luv2xclr8   +1y
I have basically the same thing.
(00, CC, DUALLY, 454, Auto/OD)

Which gear is in it? (3:73, 4:10)

Mine came w/ electric fans on it.

Around town it's going to suffer!

Mine's 8-9 T, 10-11 C, 12-13 H

If you have the 3:73 it will be a
little better, other than that it's
like the others above have said.
58deluxerag   +1y

Think that the one I'm gonna do.
cleanest_image   +1y
HOW BOUT THAT REAR BUMPER
flattie   +1y
can i put a different gear in the rearend to drop the rpm from 2500 down to like 1600 rpm on the highway at 65mph I dont tow anything with it other that a 18ft race boat. Tops it weighs 2500lbs
98crewcab   +1y
its only money........I keep 3/4 tank of fuel in mine, you don't want to get into a habit of running low on gas, as the fuel is what keeps your fuel pump cool.....pay me now or later for a fuel pump...
someotherguy   +1y
Don't go crazy with the plug gap, even though the factory spec probably says .060 you'll want to try something closer to .045 for the ignition system to live a nice long life. At any rate at least don't exceed the factory spec printed on the emissions label.

Uncorking the exhaust a little bit is nice on the 96-up trucks; earlier ones you have to be a little careful on whether or not it has a heated O2 sensor. The older trucks (typically 1993 and older, or 1995 and older w/standard transmission) have a non-heated O2 (single wire) and depend on exhaust heat to get them up to temp (600F) before they start reading and put the computer into closed loop mode.

Keep on top of your tire pressures, all of 'em, check the spec on the door sticker if you're running anything close to the stock type tires. If you're running bigger rims with low profile tires then the pressures are gonna obviously be different than stock dually 16's.

I'm not impressed with the high dollar "cold air intakes", these trucks have factory cold air induction just make sure you keep a clean filter in there. Don't use a K&N and if you insist on using one, be careful not to over-oil it because excess oil will contaminate your MAF sensor (1996-up.)

Gears...probably has 4.10's which are what that heavy truck needs to get moving without too much effort. You could drop it down to 3.73's which may give you slightly better MPG in the long run if you do lots of highway driving unloaded, but if you tow a lot or do a lot of city driving, it won't help or could possibly hurt MPG because the engine is working harder to move the truck.

Richard