Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  i think its the starter

i think its the starter

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 875
replies 7
following 3

xtowtruck   +1y
so recently my trucks been starting funny... it slowly rolls over almost like the battery is dead andones it rolls maby 3-5 times it rolls normal and fires? any one have this prob b4? i'm guessing i need a new starter or atleast pull all the connections apart and clean them?

any help is appreciated. thanks

Dru
wide load c-30   +1y
Is it a big block? Does it do it all the time or only after you have driven for a while and everything is warm?
xtowtruck   +1y
oh sorry it's a 350 SBC and yeah when it's warm....
krewzlo   +1y
Its the starter, when they get warm, they don't like to work. I used to have issues in my s10 with a sbc in it. I think they make a heat shield or something for it.
xtowtruck   +1y
So i just need a shield or a new starter?
krewzlo   +1y
I would try a heat shield first.

It doesn't do it when it is cold? Only after it has been driven then trying to restart?

here are a bunch of different options from shields to wraps. I don't know which one works better though.
xtowtruck   +1y
Thank you sir. had me worried that i needed a new starter.... just threw a alt in it 4 days ago don't need to be spending money on a starter now too
krewzlo   +1y
Not a problem, hope thats all it is. Older gm's were notorious for it, a lot of it depended on how close your exhaust runs to the starter. I believe the term for the problem was "heat soaked"

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1