Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  rear brakes

rear brakes

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1889
replies 12
following 5

burntup   +1y
I have a 98' how do you get the rear drums off?
lockone   +1y
Once the wheel is off. We normally have to take a deadblow hammer and bang the hell out of the drums to break them free. Alot of the time they are just held on by the brake dust in between the shoe and the drum.
burntup   +1y
so it is like a regular drum breaks? I was thinking you had to pull the axles for some reason
gjf   +1y
You have to remove the axles. There is a large nut that holds the hub assembly. Once the nut is off the whole drum/hub assembly slides off. From there the drum can be removed from the hub and or the brakes can be serviced.
98crewcab   +1y
if you pull your axle, rear end gear oil is going to leak out...I always jack the side I am working on a little higher than the side I am not working on to avoid the spillage.Use a pointed pry bar to reinsert the axle item# 53 ( it give you leverage by using one of the axle bolt holes)
you will need new gaskets if I remember correctly item# 51 plus some sealant
be careful with the oil seal,

thread post photo
gjf   +1y
From the picture in the manual 48 thru 50 fits between 60 and 61. Excellent example 98crewcab! And as he said watch the oil seal as the hub/drum is HEAVY! And when you put it back on if you rest the weight of the hub on the seal and cause any slight damage, it will leak. I have been wanting to do a disc brake conversion when time comes on my ride.

gjf   +1y
Funny after I posted I went to the shop to do some work and I lost a rear wheel cylinder! So here are some pics for you.
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
wide load c-30   +1y
^^^^ Pics don't work.

Is this necessary on squarebodies aswell?
gjf   +1y

98crewcab   +1y

I think so....dana full floaters rear ends should be about the same....I am not a professional mechanic...

real picture are always better....third picture shows the retaining snap ring removed (item 56).....the square key (item 57)that has to be pulled before you can spin the adjustment nut (item 58) off