Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  Smog pump delete

Smog pump delete

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1899
replies 9
following 6

calfboy   +1y
Hey guys I have a 97 with the 7.4 in it. Yesterday I took off the smog pump and put on a shorter belt..everything seemed fine. Today I jumped in to go pick up a oil filter, but the truck was making a chirping sound..pop the hood, belt was off. Put it back on start it up and it just walks off...put it back on and it doesn't seem like the tensioner is getting it tight enough. So I go pick up a new one, but they gave me the tensioner for the trucks that came with no pump on it...this won't fit. My question is do I have to get brackets to make the new tensioner work? Or do I just exchange for tensioner like was on it and it will work because it's new and has more spring in it? Trucks got just a touch over 100k mi. on it.
98crewcab   +1y
sounds like you didn't route the belt correctly.....
dropd80s   +1y
or the belt you have is still too long
98crewcab   +1y
did you fix it?
calfboy   +1y
Yup got it fixed...the solution was to install a shorter belt. And it was a pain to get it on, but made it happen and now she stays put.
someotherguy   +1y
I've never seen a Vortec big block with a smog pump...is this a California emissions thing?

Richard
calfboy   +1y
I am guessing so..this is my second 97 rig that I had bought used, first one didn't have it and this one does. And in my opinion doesn't need it either I hate all that extra crap. I live in AZ so their is a good chance this could have been a cali truck at some point in its life.
sanchezsj   +1y
Im a marine in CA and need a smog pump for my 454. If you can help please email me at I hate CA and their stupid emissions.
luv2xclr8   +1y
Mine probably has one since I bought the truck in
San Diego last year. What part # 4 shorter belt ?
sanchezsj   +1y
Im not sure what part # the shorter belt is but these guys on here seem to have that all figured out. thanks for the response, sorry I got back to you late. Once again if you have a smog pump that you dont need, and want to sell for a decent price, please email me at its the fastest way to get a hold of me.
Page 1 of 1