threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  couple of 454 engine questions.

couple of 454 engine questions.

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1234
replies 2
following 2

suksgas   +1y
sup guys i have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me. i had to remove the intake manifold on my 94 chevy dually 454. because i had to clean out the thread were the heater line whent to put a plug on it. but when i was cleaning the heads and block from the old gaskets all tho i pluged all the head holes and put a rag over the inside of the motor. a tiny piece of old gasket landed into the motor and i heard a lil ding song when it landed into the engine. it whent in by one of the holes were i can see the cam shaft. will that affect my engine?

also whats the best way to flush the engine and radiator so i can put new antyfrezze?

is doing an engine flush good or bad for my engine?the truck has 140 000 and is been sittin for 1 year

thanks guys and sorry for the long post.
someotherguy   +1y
Man, if the gasket piece made a sound, then I'd say you're in deep shit because it wasn't just a piece of paper gasket. When you say one of the holes where you can see the cam, what do you mean? Any way you can shoot a pic and show us which one?

Also something to consider for the future when doing work like this, don't use rags, use paper towels. If a thread from a shop rag gets in your engine that can get caught in a bearing and screw up everything. Not like it's guaranteed to happen but why risk it?

Cooling system flush, you can get that kit from Prestone that has a Tee you put in one of the heater hoses, and can hook up the garden hose. Buy a bottle or two of their Super Flush, and read the directions. No big deal.

Engine flush I would NEVER do unless you plan on dropping the pan immediately. If there's sludge in your engine you're just going to knock it loose and it will end up in the pan, clogging the oil pump pickup screen. I know it sounds crazy but it's safer to leave the sludge in place until you're ready to pull the engine and build it.

Oh also sitting for one year, you should be dropping the gas tank and cleaning it out, check it and the sender for rust. Sitting up is murder on that stuff. Sometimes the pumps go bad too just from the gas varnishing up inside them.

Richard
suksgas   +1y
ok thanks for the reply. when the piece of gasket fell into the cam valley it made a sound i mean it was not loud but i heard it. the piece was small problable like 5/16 in diamater. i mean if i take out the oil pan before i start the truck shouldntit be in the pan sence it fell right throught the center of the block next to the cam?

also will pluggin the heater exit on the intake bad will it affect the cooling of the truck? i dont need heater i live in miami fl

when i remove my valve covers and intake the motor looks new inside no sludged whatsoever so i shouldnt do an engine flush right?

thanks alot
Page 1 of 1