Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  Sputter wtf

Sputter wtf

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 859
replies 5
following 4

1niceck   +1y
Ok i did a full tune up on my truck plugs,wires,cap,rotor,oil and air filter and now it sputters i gapped the plugs to the correct gap put everything back to the way it was but now it sputters. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? It fires right up so i know the firing order is right
duallylaid   +1y
I don't know what year truck you have or what engine, but I had a 99 Z71 5.3, changed plugs and after about 1000 miles it started actin crazy, checked and replaced O2 censors still sputtered got online and read that some plugs were running crappy @ factory gap. Mine called for .060 and closed them to .040 and it ran like a champ.
liljlowrider   +1y
id check the muffler bearings...... make sure that you have all the plug wires pushed down on the plug correctly that can cause a miss fire but its hard to say really
someotherguy   +1y

Don't assume the firing order is right because it fires right up. There's a couple plug wires that can get swapped and the engine will start fine but run crappy. 5 and 7 I think are a common mistake.

Also don't assume new parts = good parts. Plenty of people screwed by bad parts right out of the box. After you 100% confirm firing order is correct, you might try swapping some of your old parts back in, one by one. Spark plugs can be damaged internally by dropping them or by parts house monkeys slapping the box down on the counter, dunno why some of those assholes insist on doing that. More than once I've held the box there while telling them to go get another because I wasn't buying the set they just smacked down.

One more thing, you didn't mention which truck, your new or old, or what engine, and what year the old one is - all I can guess at is the 97 you have mentioned in your profile. When you ask tech questions helps if you give all the details. Anyway esp on the 97 if you used something silly like Bosch Platinums or Bosch +4 whatever plugs pull that garbage out. The ignition system on these trucks does NOT like funny plugs. I use only AC plugs, and if it's the 97, AC Platinum, just like the factory used.

Richard
1niceck   +1y
Problem solved thanks for the info i had 2 wires crossed like someotherguy said lol im an idiot lol. Ok my next question it is running rich as hell how can i fix that im not familiar with the whole carb shit can someone hold my hand and tell me what to do?
someotherguy   +1y
Don't sweat it, a lot of people make that mistake. Well, I don't. but a lot of people do. Just kidding.

On the carb, man, been years and years since I've had to jack around with one. Is it the factory Rochester Quadra-Jet? There's a couple things about them that will make em run pig rich, enough that you could light the exhaust on fire with a BBQ lighter. There's some casting plugs in the bottom of the body that need to be epoxy'd up while the carb is apart for a rebuild. They leak and dump raw fuel into the engine. It's pretty common knowledge though and I would think most Qjet's after all these years have been fixed already?

So give us more info, please, year, engine size, and what kind of carb is on it. And is the carb electronic...hope not, cuz I don't know jack about those. Only fought one once, ever, almost 20 years ago.

Richard
Page 1 of 1