Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  700r4 HELP needed.

700r4 HELP needed.

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1801
replies 11
following 5

onefasthoagie   +1y
ok. I know it's not a dually, but a 700r4 should be a 700r4 lol. it's on my POS blazer.

Here is what it does. i don't have a transtemp gauge and i need to get one to see for sure....
But after i zip down the highway 60 - 70 mph when i come to a stop the vent tube for the transmission blows out trans fluid onto the exhaust and it smokes like it is on fire.

Funny thing is, in traffic. stop and go, no problems. it dosn't make any sense why this would happen! you'd think it would happen in traffic and be cool when your haulin on the highway, but it's the exact opposite.

So far ive replaced the filter, checked the pump to make sure it's working, and added an aditional trans cooler.

Any ideas? i trust u guys the most on any forum
someotherguy   +1y
Not really a trans expert but one thing could be, is the vent tube plugged up? It's just that short small tube coming out of the top of the case, behind the bellhousing.

And BTW that fluid dumping on the exhaust is bad, trans fluid will light the hell up and you won't have smoke "like" it's on fire...it WILL be on fire, be careful!

Richard
jcampbell1180   +1y

Oddly enough, that sequence of words made me LOL.
skidrow   +1y
im a trans guy 20 years doing it

here are some thing to look at

Your problem may be you have too much TCC slip, if you have too much your transmission will run hotter than normal the fluid will expand and it will have no choice but to come out the vent

i sell a Gil younger (SK transgo)4l60 kit to every p/u or van that comes in with wet breather too much tcc slip over heat. customer loves how it works and better fuel mileage no more slip. they come back couple weeks and vent is dry

Several ways to correct this condition on the 4L60e. One tip is to block the TCC regulator valve in the valve body with a inner pump spring from a 700R4 or 4L60e. If this is done I may suggest to install a torgue converter with the regular clutch type material. My understanding is that the slip type converter cannot handle the on/off function.

or front pump leaking through the pump cavity vent.

over filling it will do this allso if u drain the pan it should take 5 qts
do not over fill this trans what happens is the oil get in the gear train and foums up it had to go some ware
try taking your dipstick out and go for a drive see what happends it it stops doing it drill a small hole it your cap of the dipstik

hope this helps

erik
onefasthoagie   +1y
Thanks Eric,

i'll try removing the dip stick and drive around today, see if it makes a differance. Other then that not knowing much about transmissions, probally won't be able to do much else to the damn thing. If i where to take this somewhere what do you estimate it would cost? at this point im disgruntled with it and don't feel like taking out the trans my self, as it's 4x4.
huskerdually   +1y

Make sure your insurance is payed up and drive it around.
skidrow   +1y
i could biuld ya a new one for about 1000 buxs. the problem in most shops will not fix it thay want the rebild so around here your looking at 1500 to 2100 buxs. dont know ware you are at what it will cost i dont know iny shops in your area. ill ask on my trans site see what comes up.

but realy see what shiping is to 98354 or from me i have cores so labor 450 converter 220 rebiuld kit 250

and i do my own shift kits i have a 700r4 behind my 502 in my dually peaple think im crazy but its working good
onefasthoagie   +1y

Sweet! i'll keep that in mind. i live in PA so shipping would be a boatload! i tryed pulling the dip stick out so it can breath. i took it for a joy ride and it seems to be working ok now. i also added like 3/4th a quart of tranny fluid. i don't know where it all goes, but it vanishes.....
someotherguy   +1y
Looks like you're getting some great advice from skidrow, but I wanted to throw this possibility out there. Are you 100% sure you're using the correct dipstick & tube? No chance it got swapped with one from a different transmission, and you might be overfilling it?

Also when you fill it, are you doing it hot, and with the engine running?

Richard
onefasthoagie   +1y

Yes sir, it's nice and toasty and running away.
i don't think it got swapped, i bought it from a single owner and they (hopefully) would have mentioned if it had a transmission installed. that would be like a selling point. "fresh rebuild".
other then that, i don't see why you'd just need to replace the tube and stick, thought people do some weird ish.