Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  Smart tranny guys...

Smart tranny guys...

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1021
replies 4
following 3

huskerdually   +1y
Okay I got my 454 out of my 74 dually and I got a 700r4 out of my 88 burb. I want to mate the 2. The burb had a 6.2 diesel so I know I'm going to need a new torque converter, but what else am I going to have to get? I have an aftermarket intake and carb on the 454 if that makes any difference.
brianbgboy   +1y
you may need to change the flywheel, but you will need to get a converter lockup module. here you go this will get the converter locked up when in overdrive. the ecm does it from the factory. good luck, later, brian
someotherguy   +1y
Definitely get the lockup kit or you run the risk of overheating the trans and killing it.

Another very important thing you need for a 700R4 & carburetor application is the geometry-correcting bracket for the TV cable. You can get 'em from Bowtie Overdrives ( ) pretty cheap, I think some other companies make 'em too. You probably already know this but correct adjustment and operation of the TV cable is like the #1 thing for a 700R4 to live; if it's too loose, you can roast it almost immediately.

I'm gonna go ahead and say the 700R4 isn't strong enough to live very long behind a 454 but if you drive it gently and don't tow a bunch/heavy loads, you'll be OK. Throw an aux cooler on it in addition to the radiator cooler, and a temp gauge, I like Autometer's electronic ones, very accurate, crazy easy to install, and only about $50.

Richard
huskerdually   +1y
It's not going in a truck so it wont be used to tow, and the motor is stock pretty much so it shouldn't be capable of killing a tranny.
brianbgboy   +1y
the 700r4 is easy to tear up, even a stock 454's torque will roast them. i have seen them go out on several 350 engines that are stock. hell i have even seen the bellhousing break all the way around where it bolts to the engine in a s-blazer with a 350 which also basically stock. later, brian
Page 1 of 1