Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  engine build

engine build

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1339
replies 12
following 4

tuckin22   +1y
ok so i said to hell with it and pulled the motor.
now my question is should i just rebuild it back to stock?
i want more torque than anything but of course more horsepower to.
what all should i do to achieve more performance?
i mean i know all the parts. but i dont know what does what? or what i should pair together? in other words what this piston does or that cam or those lifters?
any help would be appreciated.

also once i do whatever to the engine should i do anything to the tranny to?
any help on that would also be appreciated.

also i dont want to have to be messing with it all the time once its put back together.
i still am going to use it as a daily.

oh and its a 98 454/ automatic

Thanks
Robert
tuckin22   +1y
noone can help me?
tat-tude dually   +1y
Well alot depends on what your looking for.....if you want goo pulling power I MYSELF would go with a good RV style cam, oval port heads with a little port and bowl work, bore it .030 over with 9.50:1 TRW or Speedpro pistons, turn/polish the crank .....and then figure out what you can do with your EFI system.....such as maybe an intake and new(er) T-body ( I dont know what the aftermarket has for your year of truck) and go from there.

thats what i would do maybe Richard can chime in
someotherguy   +1y
Just remember anything you do that makes it vary from stock, you're gonna need a custom tune to compensate for it. Before choosing your parts combo talk to some tuners to see what they think. I haven't dealt with any of these guys yet but will surely be talking to some when I get my HD project going since I'm using a '96 Vortec 7.4 in it and will be emissions-exempt, so the very first thing I plan to do is give it a custom tune. Try Wester's Garage, PCMforless, wait4me, there's a bunch others, can't say if one place is better than another, time to start ringing some phones.

Do not ignore this step or you will hate life...

Richard
tuckin22   +1y
hmmm sounds good didnt think of that tune thing.
talked to a friend of a friend and he might be able to help me out with what to do but i appreciate yalls input.
i will look in to all of this.

when you say rv style what does that mean?
is it literally out of an rv?

thanks
tat-tude dually   +1y

nah RV cams tend to give you better low in tq/hp for pulling/towing comp cams has some good RV grind cams and or you have one custom made for your combination.
tuckin22   +1y
oh ok got ya cool
tuckin22   +1y
another stupid question how do you know if you have air injection?
is it the one with that piece of pipe coming out of the backside of the driverside header going to the plenum?

reson i ask is cause all the headers ask.
also which headers are you guys runnin?

thanks
robert
tuckin22   +1y
so i found out that airinjection has fittings on the front of the headers.
which mine doesnt.
so what aftermarket headers you guys using or would yall recomend?
tuckin22   +1y
ok well one last question if anyone can help.

what is the stock specs for the camshaft?
all the numbers and whatnot.

thanks