Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  Time for a rebuild...

Time for a rebuild...

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1164
replies 13
following 6

jcampbell1180   +1y
Looks like the sled's gonna need a rebuild. Looking for some suggestions.

I was planning on staying with a stock rotating assembly and just picking up a rebuilt shortblock from one of those engine rebuilding companys.

As for the top end, I think I'm going to send out the heads out for a clean up/valve job. The only real "upgrades" I was thinking about was one of those Edelbrock "kits" that has the matched intake, cam and carb. I don't need a drag motor, but some extra horsies is never a bad thing. Just something a little over stock to wake it up a bit.

Anybody have any other suggestions or is this a pretty good plan?
huskerdually   +1y
Looks good to me.

If you have the time, having your block bored and building it yourself I find is fun.
jcampbell1180   +1y
Yeah, I thought about it, but the cost is about the same either way, and to be honest, I don't really have the knowledge to do it myself...with confidence, anyway. Campy Sr. said he could show me, but I don't think I want to mess with it.
huskerdually   +1y
It's not bad, just take your time. I guess I just like to be able to say I did it.

But you're right for the cost you can't hardly beat most of those rebuilders, and you get a warranty.
lc4carl   +1y
More compression wouldn't cost anymore. May as well take it 60 over at this point. In fact, a cast stroker crank would be nice. And how about some modern heads? Maybe have a five-angle grind done on a set of used Vortecs? Got any money left? Maybe a roller cam?

Strange how these things snowball...
jcampbell1180   +1y
Yeah, I don't want to go crazy. Still have to get semi-decent mileage and It's gotta stay reliable...it's my daily.
tat-tude dually   +1y
I would just go .030 over with a street daily driven truck more so a big dually like we have.....when you bo yre it much more then that you could run into over heating issues....You also have to have your block machined for a stroker crank....justa FYI
jcampbell1180   +1y
Okay, well that leads me into a few questions...

1. When you bore them out like that, do you have to run different pistons? How does that work?

2. What kind of crank should I use and what would I tell the machine shop?

3. What kind of HP are we talking when you go to someting .030 over?
erock805   +1y
you can use your same crank and put in new slugs. not sure about your power increase for a few extra cubic inches. but if your doin the heads you might be able to shave them a bit or use a smaller head gasket for more compression.
huskerdually   +1y

Everything else the same boring it isn't going to give you much more. The heads, cam and intake will net you the power gain.