Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  4l80e behind my old 454

4l80e behind my old 454

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 12657
replies 7
following 4

huskerdually   +1y
I found this one it's from a 6.5 diesel truck. Will it work behind my old 454 if I get the computer?
low95xlt   +1y
i bleive it shoul;d but could be wrong. i know the 4l60e also works.... i think both of these trans mount up to the newer 5.3 and 6.0 motors as well.. im contemplating a 6.0 swap i nthe near future...
twisteddually   +1y
Yes it will. I did the swap on mine last year. The 4L80E has an extra bolt in the top of the bellhousing, but other than that it is the same. I had to get different bolts for the torque converter, and the converter has 6 bolt but only 3 matched up on my flexplate, as it has 2 different 3-hole patterns. I also robbed some tranny cooler lines from the junk yard and spliced them into my lines, the 4L80E has 3/8 lines and the 400 had 5/16. I used the Compushift controller and it came with the throtle position sensor and all the wiring, I highly reccomend it, it's a very good product. Also you'll need to get a slip yolk and shroten the drive shaft.

In the end it ended up getting more expensive than I expected, but it was worth it to have that extra gear, and not to mention the shift control and other cool stuff.
someotherguy   +1y
The CL post is deleted so that's all I see.

If you can get the ECM from a '93 6.5/4L80E it is just transmission controls since the 6.5 that year is mechanical injection (maybe '92 also? was 6.5 available yet?), that's what a lot of guys retrofitting 4L80E's are using instead of buying the aftermarket controller. Of course you'll need that stretch of wiring harness to the big round connector on the passenger side.

Ditch the diesel torque converter if it was included, it has a way wrong stall speed for a gas engine.

Richard
huskerdually   +1y
Ya it sold before I could buy it. I thought it was a pretty good deal, don't they normally go for about $600? The diesel part was what worried me. Thanks for the help guys.
someotherguy   +1y
Too bad you don't live closer, I've got a '92 4L80E that's got a recent rebuild that I don't want much more than that for.

Yeah a good used 4L80E should sell for around $500-$600, but most people pull them first and have it sitting on the damn floor and expect you to believe it's good. That always bugs me. When I try to get "working" money for an engine or transmission, I try to have it in a truck where it can be fired up and tested. Now that's not the case with the 4L80E I have, the truck came to me with the engine blown up, but I know who built the transmission and when it was done so I have really good confidence in it.

Shit sorry not trying to sound like an ad for my transmission. I also picked up a '91 3/4 ton with 4L80E and only 76K miles, someone already stole the engine (the jagoffs that impounded it) but I have another to throw in there so I can test the engine and trans in one shot.

Richard
huskerdually   +1y
I would probably go through it anyway. I'm a long way from needing a trans but I figured with that one the price was right. So pick stuff up cheap along the way.
someotherguy   +1y
My buddy that runs a trans shop was asking me for some cores, I told him I had a late model (from a '99 1 ton OBS) 4L80E that still pulled weakly but the fluid was burnt as hell, and had mentioned someone offered me $300 just for the core. He told me don't take it. Says the pump and stuff in them is so expensive that if I needed a core later I couldn't replace it for that price. He had a customer with one had a cracked case, had to spend something like $500 just to get a complete unit from a junkyard in order to use the case. The 4L80E's changed a few times over the years and some people found out the hard way you can't swap guts and cases with too many years in difference, internal lubrication changed and it'll roast itself almost immediately.

Richard
Page 1 of 1