threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  6.2....6.5........or 454????

6.2....6.5........or 454????

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1726
replies 12
following 12

1986crew   +1y
That is the question My truck has a 350 in it now which is fine for getting the truck moving but we recently hauled the 35 ft gooseneck camper to a local state park and the 350 ain't got the get up and go to get that moving fast! Gonna stick with GM, and really can't afford a cummins or duramax. Is the 6.2 any better than the 6.5?
1low1ton   +1y
in my opinion 6.5s suck ive had two and i wouldnt take one if it had never been cranked and was still in the plastic go with the 454
liljlowrider   +1y
^^^^ agreed
diabolic kustoms   +1y
I'm a diesel guy and now with the cost of diesel ans the fact that both 6.2 and 6.5 are expensive to build I would go with the 454.
974door   +1y
I agree with the rest. I am pulling my 6.junk I mean 6.5 out of my truck. I was planning on doing a 12v cummins swap, but I think I am gonna go with a built big block instead.
brianbgboy   +1y
just a little delayed reaction there 974door!!! lol, just kidding bro. i have had the 6.5, and worked on several. i would go big block hands down!! just my .02 fellas. later, brian
someotherguy   +1y
I just don't buy what the diesel guys are selling. Diesels are for big rigs.

I've run a bunch of wreckers with both gas and diesel engines, and in comparably sized/weighted trucks, the gas engines always had more power and got roughly the same MPG. The gas engines need more frequent maintenance but the maintenance items are cheaper. Oil is cheaper. Filters are cheaper. And ever since the new scam of diesel costing more "because of the required ULSD" (which is a bullshit reason)" the fuel cost is cheaper on the gas engine.

And what those guys said about the 6.5. Boat anchor..

Richard
sick82   +1y
i know the d-max swap you said was not a option. but you can find a lb7 for fairly cheap and get a stand alone computer for the motor and allison reasonably priced. take this into consederation. i know my d-max is a lbz but its almost the same platform as the lb7. in my dually i get about 20-23 mpg's running empty at 80. and i can easily pull a 44 foot gooseneck with 2 full trucks and still get between 13-15 at 80. my town driving is between 13 and 15 depending on if i romp on it. the only mods i have done to mine are k&n, resanator delete and muffler and cat cut off. it may cost a little bit more for the dmax but that would be my FIRST choice.

ive towed with the 8.1 and it has nothing that a duramax has. and you can easily mod them to get more power and better milage.

just a thought. but stay away from the 6.2 and 6.5. 2nd option is a blown 454!!!

josh
kblr elf   +1y
454 over that 6.2 6.5 wat a gutless pos they are d max is the shit but for the price go with the 454
sixshooter   +1y
6.2, 6.5 or 454.... If those are your choices 454 no questions about it.