threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  Motor and tranny headache.....

Motor and tranny headache.....

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1229
replies 13
following 7

zach5150   +1y
Ok, so maybe I have not bought a dually yet. But i got a good new job, and I am paying shit off quickly, and maybe even buying a house and a garage to build one in. Enough of my life story, lets talk motor and tranny.......

This is my plans. Buying a chevy quad cab, 94-99 with the newer interior (I dont know when they went with the rounded dash and new cluster, if you know, please inform me in repost) and I plan on a body drop to the rockers, 22 inch big hole alocas, and plan on making a 5th wheel for it in the bed and towing two or three custom trucks to shows next year. I have done my research on the 6.5 diesel, and it sounds scary. I have also done research on the 454, which sounds like motor of choice, even though gas is gonna eat me. I will have people riding with to help me out though, and I have also looked into cummins swaps......

I know the 6.5 diesel is not good, and I know the 454 would be best choice as of now, cause the cummins swap is expensive and tough. What transmission came with the 454? My buddy had a 93 and it had a 454 and it was a 3 speed i think, the highway was a no no for this truck, what years did they have a decent tranny in the 454? I want a automatic transmisson if I am going gas....The cummins 5.9 12v swap with the 6 speed tranny is what I want, but it may have to wait till next winter... I want to hear your ideas opinions and input....thanks.
liljlowrider   +1y
mine is a 2000 model with a 454 and 5 speed manual trans and runs great
ec_dually   +1y
i have a 2000 model w/ a 454 and has plenty of power and torque, they changed the dash in the 95-96 model yr.... stock driving i am getting close to 14 on the hwy and 11-12 when i tow my s-10 on a 18ft dove tail trailer
jcampbell1180   +1y
The 6.5 is purely a matter of opinion. I know a few guys that have them and love them. Drag loves his.

Seems like it only takes a few, uninformed loudmouths to ruin a reputation.
brianbgboy   +1y
i had a 96 with the 6.5, and my dad still has a 97 with one. we have had nothing but trouble with both of them. i had to replace my engine due to the block cracking and letting antifreeze leak into the oil. my dads has injector pump issues since day one when he bought it new. i just got a 2000 model, and while looking for it i found several 6.5's, but i went with the 454 instead because of the issues i had with previous truck. i am no misinformed loudmouth when it comes to this issue, this is purely EXPERIENCE!!!!
zach5150   +1y
i think im ognna go 454 with a automatic...but i want to make sure i dont get the tranny that whines up to 4000 rpm at 80 mph!
ec_dually   +1y
at 80 miles a hour in my dually i am turning 2700 rpms
jcampbell1180   +1y

To you strive to be a total cocksucker or does that come naturally?

Seriously, shut the fuck up!

It's not always about you. I didn't single you out. If you had issues with one, great. Nobody ever said they were a perfect motor. I'm sure there's plenty of people who have had issues with the 6.5. Same with the 6.2, 454, 350, 4.3, etc. There mechanical. Mechanical shit goes south sometimes.

I have exactly ZERO personal experience with them. However, I do know several people who have them and haven't had a lick of trouble out of them.

The point was, for every assbag who's out there running his mouth, there's 10 other guys who are perfectly happy. It doesn't take much to get a bad rep, especially with bandwagon happy jackoffs like yourself.

You have go to be the most combative, hostile, ignorant son a bitch I have run across in a long time. You have got to try to make an argument about every fucking topic ever posted here.

...and if you want to try to turn around and point a finger at me, you ain't seen shit yet.

Kill yourself, douche sack.
jcampbell1180   +1y
Look Ma! I'm arguing on the interwebz!

So retarded.
brianbgboy   +1y
i just figured i would be negative about everything that everyone else has, kind of like you asshole. you can kiss my fat ass as far as i am concerned. you always vioce your opinion and talk shit about everything, but when someone else has an opinion, oh well fuck them. i never asked for you thoughts of me, and do not have enough time to tell you my thoughts of you. i am not argueing with you at all, just speaking from my experiences, which as always, you have a problem with.