threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  To paint motor or not...

To paint motor or not...

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 811
replies 4
following 4

twisteddually   +1y
I'm planning on pulling my motor and trans soon. I going to finally paint my firewall and inner fenders, and my trans need to be rebuilt again, good.
So I'm debating on painting the motor and trans to match everything else or just leaving them black. But I am a little scared of putting base/clear on a big block that runs HOT. Does anyone have any advice or experience with a painted motor, as far as the paint staying on the block and heads?
Thanks guys.
diabolic kustoms   +1y
ive always just preped it like anything else maybe a little adhesion promoter but thats it. It was explained to me by a very experinced painter that the paint on your roof on a hot day isn't much cooler then then paint on your engine when going down the road. Around exhaust excluded.
brianbgboy   +1y
yup. all you need to do is prep it like normal, then adhesion promoter, and paint away!! it will be just fine. you will lose some color around the exaust for sure, but even the original color from the block changes there...
twisteddually   +1y
I use all Dupont products, and as far adhesion promoters go, the only one I ever used was for plastics. Should I use that or is there something else?
jeffrodamis   +1y
my block is painted and i had exhasut leaka round headers nad it has started to pell in thise spots but has stayed on fairly well every where else
Page 1 of 1