threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  Ford/International 7.3L Expertise?

Ford/International 7.3L Expertise?

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1419
replies 14
following 10

baha   +1y
Hey guys I'm looking for advice. I found a local deal on an E350 with the 7.3L Diesel. According to the owner the only parts that are needed for it to run are glow plugs, and a starter.

Is there anything that I should watch out for? I'm thinking of getting it as long as the engine will turn.

huskerdually   +1y
What year is it?
baha   +1y
It is a 1993
cnotch   +1y
Ya I have some advice...

If the only thing the truck needed was glow and turn I am not sure why the seller would not invest that small amount of money into it before he tried to sell it. I would be very cautious, I would make the purchase contingent on him putting the plugs and starter in it and then you could verify that it did not have a much larger or costly list of potential problems. I doubt there is a line of people looking to buy this truck, I would rather see you loose the truck than to buy a junker with hidden problems. Structure the deal to protect yourself, if the seller is sooooo sure that those are the only two problems than he would/should be happy to fix them first. If he gives a list of reasons that he can't fix it than I would be worried. He might say that he does not have cash to buy the parts, you do not need to solve his problems as a buyer.
raymondsage   +1y
Plus the fact that it has that oval shaped emblem in the front
baha   +1y
Thanks guys, yeah I know what you mean about why she doens't just fix it. I've gotten some really good deals though because the seller didn't know how easy it was to fix I'll check it out next weekend.

Thanks Again
jcampbell1180   +1y
FYI-the n/a 7.3's are dogs.
low95xlt   +1y
well whats the verdict did u get it and what are u getting a 7.3 for the ranger?
someotherguy   +1y

No shit they are. A g/f of mine years ago had a 97 F250 heavy with the 7.3 n/a, and it sucked.

A few things I had to do to it sucked too; had to replace the vacuum pump, much more of a PITA than it should have been. Then the belt tensioner broke, putting the (brand new from Ford) new one on I broke the dowel peg out of the cast aluminum housing, they replaced it as defective, replaced the water pump, it has TWENTY ONE BOLTS holding it on and that's just the pump housing, not all the crap you have to remove to get to it, the coolant needs to have an additive put in it that you can only get from Ford that keeps the head gaskets from eroding away. Oh and while I was in there doing all that water pump, vacuum pump, belt tensioner, idler pulley, etc. I noticed that none of the accessory pullies lined up square. Looked it up, there's service info out there for shimming ALL the engine accessories to get the junk to line up. Good job Navistar...

The starter for these is not cheap BTW.

Richard
rangerrudy   +1y
^^^ These are all chevy guys replying....The 7.3 l is one of the best diesel's made