Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  Duramax Swap???

Duramax Swap???

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1570
replies 10
following 8

uncivlized1   +1y
I am wanting to swap a newer Duramax and Allison trans into a 99 Chevy Dually since the truck's 350 is getting up there in mileage. Has anyone done this swap already or know of a site that shows it being done. I also would not be opposed to some sort of Cummins swap. I just would like to convert it to a diesel powered truck and refuse to run the 6.5 from that body style since they are not worth having.
dragnasty   +1y
Personal opinion.......
jcampbell1180   +1y
Ouch.

Don't take this too personally...but yours sounds like the voice of ignorance. There's actually a lot you can do to those old six fives.

Sure, it's not a new, computer controled oil burner...but there not exactly worthless either.
krewzlo   +1y
For the money you are going to spend to do the swap you might as well sell your truck and buy a new body style one. I have read quite abit into a duramax conversion into my 02 yukon. Even those being the same body style are a pain, needs a 2" body lift to start, just to get the radiatior and turbo stuff to fit under the hood. The price of a engine tranny combo is outrageous, at least up here in MI. Hard to find in salvage yards too. Wiring, exhaust, etc can be a challenge. Will the tranny even fit under the floor without hanging down? yadayadayadayada, to me not worth it, cheaper and easier to buy a diesel 4wd crew and use that to tow with. I have seen some around here in decent condition for 20,000 or so. Engine/trannys used, I have seen no cheaper than 5 g's up to 10. plus all the parts to make it work.

Unless you got a killer deal on a drivetrain, not worth it, unless money is no object.
diabolic kustoms   +1y
yeah so if your on here with us chances are you can't afford the duramax swap. And if you do go that way dont plan on going real low without a ton of work and a trans tunnel like a h1. If you are sold on ditching the 6.5 I would advise going with the cummings. You can bolt one up to a th 400 and I know they sell brackets to install into box styl, so I'm sure you could find some for yours. And if you go for the earlier 12 valve you will have barly any wiring to worry about.
huskerdually   +1y
Shake those haters off. Just throw money at it till it works. It would be a sweet swap except I think the duramax is a piece of crap. Do a cummins or even a powerstroke.
1low1ton   +1y
i looked into the duramax and they are outrageous about 10000 bux for a good used one or rebuilt and then you still have to have a tranny and all the wiring way too expensive in my opinion and i do agree that the 6 fives are a peice of crap i have had 2 i want to put a cummins in mine
pig rig   +1y
go 454 loud and they don't miss a gas station but if set up right you can pull anything you want
uncivlized1   +1y
As for the not having the money, that is far from the problem I would have since 3 vehicles were sold to fund this Dually project so that I could go all out on it. However, I dont want to throw it all away on something that could have a reasonable alternative. I know that it would be very costly but before looking into that part of it I was trying to find out if it had been done and was physically possible. My very first concern would be the physical size and with a 3.5" or so bodydrop it does not sound like I will have the clearance to pull it off.

I have heard of the Cummins swap into the 88-98 bidy Chevy before but havent researched it too much. Does anyone know of any good links on that subject since it seems that would be the better option for me wanting an obnoxious diesel and not wanting the stock 6.5???

My opinion of the 6.5 is well educated based on plenty of experience around them and the problems they have, but it is simply that...an opinion. I dont knock anyone for having them, I jsut wouldnt go through the trouble of swapping in something I dont want in there.

I appreciate all of the feedback and I had no intention of offending anyone who has different feelings towards the 6.5 than I do.....