Dually Engine \  How can you tell....

How can you tell....

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1043
replies 9
following 4

okcderek   +1y
I got two different questions....

1. How can you tell when your starter is about to go out...?

2. How can you tell if you "coil pack" or what ever its called is going out..?

I have a 99 Crew cab dually w/ the 454 in it and I think one of the two items above is giving my headaches. I can go out and start my truck in the morning and it will usually fire right up...but if I drive it for awhile, turn it off, then go to start it a little bit later it acts like it is having trouble starting... sometimes it will turn over and over and over then finally fire, other times it will act like its having a hard time even turning over and then it will just fire right up .
liljlowrider   +1y
doesnt really sound like the starter if it will turn over. usually the starters on our bdstyle trucks go out alot but when they do they just lock up and wont do anything.
pig rig   +1y
it sounds like you solenoid is getting hot and its drawing to much power
you can do a tight wad rebuild by just turning over all the contact points in the starter and flip the brushes around if they have any life left in them or you can replace the whole thing and call it done
liljlowrider   +1y
just replace it.. its easyier in the long run
pig rig   +1y
oh no way man, anything worth doing is worth doing twice only because smart people think its cost effective to do it once
okcderek   +1y
So are you saying to replace the starter or the starter solenoid......Not worried about going the cheap way out, I just want the problem fixed. I dont want to get stranded somewhere.....especially since I usually have my 2 1/2yr old some w/ me during the day.
okcderek   +1y

Anyone know if these people make one for big blocks or if they are anygood...? I was looking into getting one of there alternator for an upgrade. Thought I might get one of there starters too.
liljlowrider   +1y
dont think on our bodystyle that you can change just the solenoid.. or at least on my starter you cant
okcderek   +1y
Thats what I was wondering...didnt know, never had to change one on a Chevy before.
ec_dually   +1y
nope you gonna have to pull the whole thing off and if ya do that might as well replace the whole thing aint but 2 bolts holding it on there..
Page 1 of 1