Dually Engine \  Starting Issue, '87 TBI 350

Starting Issue, '87 TBI 350

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1214
replies 8
following 5

kdubaz   +1y
Ok, so here's the deal.

1987 Crew Cab dually, square bodystyle, first year of TBI setups from what I understand. The truck runs amazingly smooth and well, passed emissions with flying colors, just doesn't like to start.

Now the thing is, it's putting 14v out at the alternator, has dual batteries, and the starter sounds like it's turning just fine. What happens is I crank it for a little bit, nothing. Then I crank it again after waiting a second, and the check engine light starts to flash, and it finally kicks over. In the first few minutes of running it'll hiccup once or twice, but otherwise it's awesome.

So I'm thinking a fuel issue here, but I'm lost. Anyone know the TBI setups well enough to make a suggestion?
dragnasty   +1y
Check on you fuel pump. Whens the last time the fuel filter was changed?
kdubaz   +1y
Good point on both of those. I'll take a peek today and see what I find.

BTW - Love the dually, part of the reason I got a squarebody.
low95xlt   +1y
yea i would check pump and fuel filter
dragnasty   +1y
Thanks. GM has a bad rep with their fuel pumps. Could even just be the fuel pump wiring. But a new pump will come with a new harness.
liljlowrider   +1y
i hate gm fuel pumps..
pig rig   +1y
whats the code that its throwing I'd start there
kdubaz   +1y

Well I changed the fuel filter and I got some nice, brown fluid coming out of it, so that helped a smidge. I'm going to go ahead and change the fuel pump, I mean I might as well, and if that doesn't do it I'll do the injectors.

It's no longer throwing a code now either, so it seems like changing the filter helped.
pig rig   +1y
I'd still see what the code is because its a lot cheeper then parts but thats just me cause I'm a tightwad
Page 1 of 1