Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  Cooling fan on a bd c3500

Cooling fan on a bd c3500

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1578
replies 7
following 6

krewzlo   +1y
What have you guys done for a fan on your bd trucks. I put a 14 and 16" autoloc fans on my 2000 but have been having big problems with them. The 16" has now seized up after only a few thousand miles after it was melting relays and blowing fuses and the 14 will melt down a relay every so often. I have them on seperate fuses and a 40 amp relays but for some reason the relays get so hot it melts the plastic and either sticks contacted or wont trigger at all. I am waiting for tech support to call me back but don't have time for that bs so I want to put something else on, maybe a mechanical flex fan or something. I see on summitracing that the flex fans don't need clutches and I think a 18" would clear the hood. Anybody run this setup? Any suggestions would help, I need to keep this big block cool while cruizin on really hot days.
jcampbell1180   +1y
I don't know about Autoloc's quality, but I have always used Spal and never had a problem.

Seems like something is definately wrong, scary wrong, if your melting relays. Double check your wiring and wire size. Make sure your grounds are good and solid. Loose connections cause heat, so make sure everything is nice and tight. You know, all the basics, bla, bla, bla. If everything checks out, check the location of your relays.

I'm assuming your fan is triggered by some sort of thermostat. It could just be that your fan is just too small for that big block and it's overworking itself.

$.02
krewzlo   +1y
Yeah everything is good on the wiring, I always use proper size wire, fuses and connections. I did have it on an autoloc adj. thermostat but it stuck on once and killed my battery so I bypassed it and they come on with my key now. I have ran my V8 S10 that way for years with cheap autozone fans and never had a problem. Guess I should of went there and got fans again instead of going for the name brand stuff.
jcampbell1180   +1y
That might explain why they siezed up. Sounds like they are being overloaded. Try running a different thermostat, and see if that helps.
burntup   +1y
I have a set of monster 280 fans that I am fixing to put on my truck, they look like there are well built.
balcar   +1y
I've got a LS1 style one for my dually, don't think ti will be big enough but they are pretty cheap. I'll let yall know after Texas Heat Wave. LOL
lockone   +1y
I used the stock motor turned fan and I just found some that were smaller in diameter.
//nc\\tricky   +1y
I put Flex-A-Lite fans on mine, and they seem to be working good.
Page 1 of 1