Page 1 of 1
Dually Engine \  350 TIMING

350 TIMING

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1092
replies 6
following 4

lowboy   +1y
JUST FINISHED REBUILDING MY 350 IN MY DUECE. WENT WITH A LITTLE BIGGER CAM, AND THATS WHERE MY QUESTION COMES IN. ITS BASICALLY ALL 94 DRIVE TRAIN AND ELECTRICAL COMPUTER ETC. TO TIME YOU HAVE TO DISCONECT THE TIMING CONNNECTOR, SWITCH WHAT EVER YOU WANNA CALL IT. IT WONT RUN TIMED TO "0". AT THIS POINT I AM ABOUT 6 DEGREES. IT STARTS FINE. IDLES FINE. ALTHOUGH LOW (FROM THE CAM), BUT IT STILL FEELS A LITTLE BIT OFF. ACCELERATION. POINT OF MY LONG WINDED STATEMENT IS, IF ANYONE HAS OR HAD A SIMILAR SET UP, WHAT YOU SET YOUR TIMING AT.
pig rig   +1y
pitch the timing light and time it by ear
but now that I read your question a little closer your ecm might be having a fit with the cam
lowboy   +1y
THE CAM WAS SELECTED WITH THE COMPUTER IN MIND. VERY MILD. VERY VERY MILD. IM NOT RELYING ON THE TIMING LIGHT TOTALLY, AS YOU SAY DOING IT BY EAR. IT STARTS GREAT. RUNS GOOD. JUST ON ACCELERATION, THERE SEEMS A REAL SLIGH HESITATION, BUT THEN AGAIN I MAY BE READING INTO NOTHING.
illegal regalã¢â€žâ¢   +1y
Time by ear is a great way to start, get it runnin good then put a gun on it to see exactly what ya got.

Whats the specs on the cam?
hangslo   +1y
If it is still a TBI you may want to look into a chip and/or fuel pressure regulator. The TBI setups are very senstive to cam (vacuum) changes. The computer uses speed density algorithms to determine the correct fuel map and spark curve. If the cam drops any vacuum AT ALL, the computer sees lower vacuum and assumes it is already under a load and consequently wont add in as much throttle (acceleration) enrichment, because it already assumes you are "working". Just changing the compression ratio 1 point on those motors can cause the motor to run lean ... just something to think about.

Once you disconnect the timing lead (tan/black wire) you can advance the timing a little, and it should stay there as a baseline for the computer to register off of.

BTW, there are many computer friendly cams out there, but if your cam is much over 204 degrees on the intake, it is too big for a stock computer to be optimal.
lowboy   +1y
GOT A HYPERTECH CHIP. DIDNT CHANGE A DAMN THING. TALKED TO THE PEOPLE AT HYPERTECH, SAID I WOULD NEED SOMEONE TO CUSTOM BUILD A CHIP FOR THE TRUCK. THAT THE CHIPS THEY MAKE ARE DESIGN FOR STOCK APPLICATIONS ONLY. THE CAM THAT IS IN THE TRUCK IS "COMPUTER FRIENDLY". RUNS GREAT EXCEPT IT IDLES WAY TO LOW IN GEAR AFTER IT IS WARMED UP. SO ANY OTHER IDEAS FROM ANY ONE, AND DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF A PLACE THAT CAN MAKE A CUSTOM CHIP?
illegal regalã¢â€žâ¢   +1y
Try ASSC racing, they're by me but maybe they can do 1 for ya or send ya somewhere close by you.

Page 1 of 1