threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  89 B2200 Guidance on installing ball joints and tie rod ends

89 B2200 Guidance on installing ball joints and tie rod ends

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 1204
replies 4
following 2

jgaston   +1y
I've got an 89 B2200 that is in bad need of tie rods and ball joints. Any advice on the procedure on how to do this? I've replaced them on an old honda sedan, but never on this truck. Thanks in advance!
Cusser   +1y
You're lucky: ball joints on these are a bolt-on, not a press-in. I've used the small tie rod end puller (looks like a gear puller) to pull both on my truck; I had borrowed Autozone loaner tool a few times over the years, then just bought it. I've seen similar at Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/tie-rod-and-pitman-arm-puller-62708.html

Advice: do both ball joints on a side at one time, easier access; use a jack to support the rotor as necessary, and of course jack stands for the truck. Some replacement lower ball joints may have grease fitting, you may need to notch to get fit for that. Also, after loosening the ball joint or tie rod end nut, keep the nut on loosely so puller end doesn't slip off. Measure tie rod effective lengths so you can get close enough to drive to alignment shop. You may need an impact wrench to get the new nuts to tighten and not just spin, or use a LARGE ViseGrip or Channelock to compress such while you start to tighten the nut.
jgaston   +1y
Thank you so much. That is very helpful. I saw that they looked to be bolted on, I'm glad that's confirmed. Not sure what you mean by notching to get a fit for the joints with grease fittings... Any clarification there would be great. Thanks again!
sincitylocal   +1y
The lower control arm has a "hood" that partially covers the area of the ball that would have a grease fitting. The notch would be just providing clearance for the fitting.
Page 1 of 1