threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  Need to lift the rear about 1/2 an inch, how do I do that with leaf springs?

Need to lift the rear about 1/2 an inch, how do I do that with leaf springs?

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 1190
replies 7
following 1

Papo The B2200   +1y
So I'm not used to trucks, & the leaf springs in the rear are no exception...

I just put my rims, & adapters on, my front fenders are eating the outer tire wall... I'm going to roll the front fenders lightly bc it's a very small difference.

But the rear, I'm screwed...

I need to raise the rear about 1/2 an inch to stop rubbing in the rear.

There's about a 1/2 an inch difference in ride height from the front, & rear... So my plan would be to level it out.

How do I adjust ride height on leaf springs????
Papo The B2200   +1y
Here's a pic of the truck before I left the parking lot.
post photo
Cusser   +1y
You could add lift blocks, or actually easier to install air-adjustable shocks like #49310 Gabriel HiJackers http://gabriel.com/product-search/light-vehicle-detailed-specs/?partnum=49310

I've used Gabriel Hi-Jackers to lift my sagging rear end (1971 VW Convertible, not my own rear end !!!) for over a decade now.
Post was last edited on May 18, 2016 04:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
Papo The B2200   +1y
I'm just trying to make the truck driveable with minimal modification to what's already there, my plan is to get a Gen-7 RX7's undercarriage (so the steering geometry, brakes, suspension, drivetrain, & rear end), & custom-fab a bunch of shit to make it work...

I really have little intention of keeping what currently exists on my truck...

But you're saying shocks might be easier to install than blocks?

I'm new stuff that doesn't involve coil-over suspension so this is all quite confusing lol...
Post was last edited on May 19, 2016 12:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
Just a guess here... It was probably lowered using blocks, and they would be on the bottom of the axle, not the top. Just remove the blocks you have in there, and install a couple that are about 1/2 inch shorter.
Papo The B2200   +1y
That's just it, I have next to no idea about what my dad did besides the weber carb install, the chrome front bar, he got some special edition tailgate (keep in mind that was a few years ago when he said that, so I barely recall), a different rear bumper, a custom acrylic rear window w/ a license plate insert, skeleton motorcycle mirror install, & lowering it..

But as to how or what he did to lower it I'm not sure.

It looks like he left 2 leaf springs on each side, so it looks like there's some missing.

But keep in mind I inherited the truck from my dad after he passed...

It's not exactly like I can ask him what he did...

I would've done so long before now.
Post was last edited on May 19, 2016 02:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
Then your first step is to look. Nobody can help without knowing how it was dropped.
Papo The B2200   +1y
Looked, there's no blocks.. But I noticed welds on my leaf springs, & the brackets they're on.

Looked at a service manual I found online, looks I'm supposed to have 5 leaf springs on each side whereas I only have 2.

Looks like I'm on the stock shocks, so I might use the hijackers shocks so I can adjust the height whenever it's necessary.
Page 1 of 1