Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine General \  Running hot

Running hot

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1627
replies 19
following 5

squidlips   +1y
A little bit of help here... So far I've replaced water pump thermostat radiator head gasket and bleed the cooling system but truck still runs hot where else should I look?
86b2k   +1y
Having this same issue right now ...im tired of throwing money at it and getting nowhere
squidlips   +1y
I hear you ... For background truck has never overheated but has made me nervous a few times. Also when I bought it the previous owner slammed probably 2 bottles of stop leak in it.
vsawmike   +1y
Take it to a shop and have them test it for a head gasket leak or a cracked head. They have a test that uses colored water. Then if that is negative you have to see if the radiator is cooling. You say you replaced the water pump radiator and head gasket. New radiator? New waterpump? Did you test or replace the fan clutch?
squidlips   +1y
It does have a new radiator new water pump I never tested the fan but I do know it's spin
vsawmike   +1y
Yes even a worn out fan clutch will spin. Whether it spins at the correct speed is the question. When you crank it while it's cold it should make much more fan noise then get quiet soon after. Have the system tested. Any good auto repair place or a radiator shop should be able to do it.
Cusser   +1y
"It does have a new radiator & new water pump "

If radiator is new, thermostat is new, and all the air is truly bled out of the system (not so straightforward, many have failed to do this), and all the fan shroud is in place, then the question I have to ask is: does it run hot (1) in town, or does it run hot (2) at highway speeds? (1) is indicative of bad fan clutch, (2) is indicative of bad radiator.

Myself: I have an aftermarket all-metal 2-row radiator in my 1988 B2200, 209K, Arizona.
Post was last edited on Apr 06, 2016 10:04. This post has been edited 1 times.
vsawmike   +1y
To get the air out you just take the cap off and start it and let it run until you see coolant moving across the radiator. Then top it off and put the cap on. Check it again in a few days and add if necessary. Cap should be replaced as well. Most of them when they get old will only hold about 6 to 7lbs and the system is designed to run at 13 to 15lbs. I am still suspecting a head gasket leak or cracked head. But a simple test will answer that question.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Look at the rubber gasket on the cap to see if it has cracks in it. If it does it is bad and that will cause the engine to run hot.
sincitylocal   +1y
More information is needed for us to properly help you diagnose it. What conditions do you have when running warm? Run time? City? Highway? Coolant loss? Where is the needle on the gauge?
Post was last edited on Apr 07, 2016 05:04. This post has been edited 1 times.