Ryans SheetMetal Designs \  Chris "Krisko" Knotts 720 SEMA Build

Chris "Krisko" Knotts 720 SEMA Build

Ryans SheetMetal Designs
views 4004
replies 35
following 19

maztang (ryan)   +1y
Edited: 8/21/2012 1:57:28 PM by Maztang

Here is an older pic of the dash coming together. It is much further along now and almost completed. Next I start on the headliner.
post photo
bagged89S10   +1y
show well does sharkhyde work on raw steel?
maztang (ryan)   +1y
Yes it does, here is a pic of the front of the can. It says what all it works on (aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass, bronze, steel, and stainless) and also (on my can) it states in yellow print that a Single application can last several years. So, it will need to be applied again every once in a while.

post photo
AVTekk   +1y
Looks real good Ryan. How did you roll the diamond pattern without flattening the previous bead?
maztang (ryan)   +1y
Thanks. Once you bead roll, bend, step die, etc. with metal it is very hard for it to actually go back to flat without a lot of work unless it is very soft like 2024-0 aluminum which is very soft and hasn't been heat treated. Copper is also very soft and bead roling the diamonds with a steel die may have flattened it a little but the diamonds would still be there. To prevent any flattening I used a nylatron die, it is a very soft bead roll die. Almost like using the skateboard wheel trick. Here is an updated pic...

post photo
drpitlo   +1y
Skateboard wheel trick. hahahaha Where did you ever come up with that goofy idea lol. Looks good Ryan cant what to meet you in oct. and see this gorgeous work up close and personal.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
Lol, thanks Bobby. Can't wait to meet you as well. Should be a great time, shitty part is that I think I will be on crutches for SEMA. Sucks!
drpitlo   +1y
you drop that heavy dash on your foot? thats no good bro especially at sema get you a motorized wheelchair lol
maztang (ryan)   +1y
Lol, no, this dash doesn't weigh anything. The best thing about working with aluminum and rivets is that I go out to the garage in my sandals and shorts, turn the a/c on and go to work hahaha. NO, I recently found out through an MRI that I have a torn ligament and a bone spur in my hip. Had it for about 10 years now but it is getting worse, I scheduled a pre-op appt for Sept. 28 but I am not sure when I will have the surgery yet. I will have to be on crutches for no less than 6 weeks. Climbing up and down on helicopters and climbing in and out of these little trucks has been a real chore lol.

I got the dash and center console completely put together last night. I took off work today so that I can do the headliner. Chris is picking up the truck on Monday so I have 3 days to do the headliner. Going to work now.
drpitlo   +1y
Damn brother sorry to hear that old age is a bitch lol. yea some of have to work in the heat with real metal haha j/p. Hope all goes well for you and I would find a wheelchair if you are planning on walking around at seam that place is pretty big. Good job on the dash and console get the headliner done so chris can get the truck done and to sema.