Page 1 of 1
Mazda Interior \  lock cylinder

lock cylinder

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 817
replies 6
following 2

1986b2000   +1y
Recently it became very hard to turn the key in my ignition lock cylinder. It's to the point where I bent my key turning it back to take it out. I'm gonna try some wd40 and see if it helps but I have a feeling it won't. If it won't I'm assuming it will need to be replaced and the only one I found is for roughly 140$.. any cheaper options here? This is kind of a beater and that'd be the most expensive part yet...
Cusser   +1y
I would use aerosol brake cleaner into it, rags underneath, and try to clean out any old lube that folks may have used. Then use graphite powder only to lube. But the real culprit may be the key itself, like is it a copy of a copy? Maybe have a new key cut by a locksmith or dealer from the key code.
1986b2000   +1y
Yes Cusser it is a replacement key. My original key had cracks in it and I thought it might break off so I had the local dealer cut me a new key via the vin #. Thank you I'll try that method on my next day off.
Cusser   +1y
I've also always had trouble with the fuel door lock cylinder, I usually used the cable release. Then one day I removed it, took it in to work and used hydrocarbon solvent and ultrasonic cleaner a few times to clean it all out. Now it works fine. I still use the original Mazda key for the ignition and the fuel door, but I replaced the door locks with a pair from Rock Auto (because originals could be opened with practically ANYTHING) and those have a different key. It never bothered me enough to get a locksmith to key them all the same.
1986b2000   +1y
Thank you but I'm a bit cheap haha. I tried Cusser's method the other day and it worked great. At first I feared the cylinder froze up completely but after about 5 minutes i got it free and smoother than ever. Thank you Cusser.
-Devin
Cusser   +1y
Good job, Devin !!! Sometimes "The Cuss" is real smart !!! My cleaned gas lock cylinder still works fine several years later.
Page 1 of 1